Saturday, July 21, 2012

For the Keeping Room: Folk Painting on an Old Barn Door

I've decided to do a few posts along the way about "parts and pieces" I plan to use in the keeping room project. I'm beginning to find more and more to choose from, as I make my way through the storage shed and the boxes--lots of boxes. Some things I haven't seen in many years. Other things I'd totally forgotten I had. And, several things I couldn't believe I kept. . .

This  folk art painting on a barn door has always been a keeper. It was painted by a young artist at the Memphis (TN) Flea Market in 1975. I remember he wanted $25 for the painting--and I was as poor as a church mouse--but, then again, so was he. Every weekend flea market, I'd check to see if he still had it. After about six weeks of this, we struck a deal. I paid him $12.50 in cash and worked at the market the next four weekends to pay off the rest. We were both happy. . .

I've never been without it since, although it's been buried in storage for the last eight years. Not only is it a nice piece of folk art, it also makes me smile, bringing memories of younger days and lessons learned. It has hung in a family room, a dining room, a living room, a bedroom, and even a bathroom.

When I unpacked it this week--and smiled--I noticed 
that the painting has all the colors of my palette:

Yep. It definitely has to be used in the keeping room. Don't you agree?


Folk Art Painting: 1975
 Artist:  M. Pearl
Measures 24" x 34"

Want to read more about this journey? See:  Keeping Room Redo Update -- Plans for the Keeping Room -- 1930s Keeping Room

3 comments:

simplicityinthemaking said...

How lovely.

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

I love it.
I have some pieces of original folk art...I love them. They were painted by The Honey's Granny...I couldn't believe NO One wanted them when cleaning out the old homestead.

I think the colors and subject of your painting will be very fitting for your keeping room.

Pat

Sam I Am...... said...

I love it! You're right! It is the exact palette you chose for your Keeping Room. I also like things that have a history or meaning. They always say you should buy what you like as it will all go together because unbeknownst to you there are common colors or elements that you are constantly attracted to...it's like it's in your DNA or something! LOL!
I can't wait to see it all together. It's going to be gorgeous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...