Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Time To Plan A 2022 Summer Garden

 

I know. . .I know. . .Only a month ago I was dreaming of a White Christmas. . .But now my head is filled with dreams of fried green tomatoes. . .

field peas. . .green tomato relish. . .fried squash, sweet potatoes and onions. . .all free for the picking from my own farmhouse garden. . .Except for the cost of seeds and a little fertilizer, I ate fresh and healthy foods all summer long last year. . .and had enough to do some canning, too. . .




With the high cost of food these days. . .and stores experiencing food shortages. . .2022 is shaping up to be the year for growing some of your own food for the family table. . .And now is the time to begin planning your garden. . .

It doesn't have to be huge. . .just a small flower bed size will grow an abundance of fresh vegetables and salad greens. . .

I am the first to admit I have no green thumb when it comes to growing things. . .nothing like my Dad or Grandmother. . .but I have been able to grow enough for our needs and have found there is nothing like cooking and feasting on the fresh produce. . .







Now is the time to make a list and order your seeds. . .non-GMO, of course. . .I have not found any seed packs for sale locally so far, so I selected one of the sets available on Amazon. . .I like to start tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and others indoors to plant early. . .so I wanted to be certain I had plenty on hand.

I will also order heirloom, non-GMO organic seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seed in Mansfield, Missouri. . .I just received the 2022 catalogue and can see hours of pouring over it in the coming days. . .making my choices. . .


Be sure to check out the WHAT'S COOKING recipes and SEASONED SOUTHERN STYLE at the DUNCAN FARMSTEAD. . .In fact, you might want to bookmark the site. . .This summer I plan to share more delicious country meals, as well as my easy recipes for canning the excess vegetables. . .It will be informative. . .fun. . .and delish. . .


But first. . .you HAVE to get that garden planned. . . .

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Nice to grow vegetables. I have not a green thumb and never could grow all these tomatoes !

The Farmers Daughter said...

I didn’t think I could do it either!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...