Thursday, April 17, 2014

Fit To Be Tied


Hi Everyone!
We woke up yesterday morning to frost. . .VERY rare for us this time of year. . . But I think some of our friends to the North had snow! . . .It IS the middle of April, isn't it? . . .and Easter is right around the corner?

I wanted to brighten up the summer kitchen chairs with slipcovers for Spring. . .I let time get away from me to do any sewing before Easter. . .Then I remembered an idea I saw in one of the popular country magazines this year (was it Country Living?). . . I thought it was a clever idea and so simple. . .Made me say to myself, "Now why in the world didn't you think of that?"

APRONS. . . Straight from the collection. . .Washed--starched--and ironed. . .It's a fast dress up for  farmhouse chairs--like one-step slipcovers! . . .


It's as simple as tying the apron onto the chair. . . The magazine suggested that you leave the strings a little loose so they won't pull when you sit down. . . .A good idea. . . I went one step further and placed double-side sticky tape right on the chair to keep the aprons from shifting. . . Problem solved. . . .


For Easter, I love the pastel colors of these half aprons. . . Luckily (grin),  I have quite a collection of the smocked ones to choose from. . . I had plans to one day draw patterns from the different designs. . . Back when Mom and I were English smocking everything in sight, I thought the gingham smocking would be a nice diversion. . . That was how many years ago? . . .I don't want to count. . . I no longer have any illusions that I'll ever copy the patterns. . . But, I'd never part with the aprons. . . Probably because the very first apron I made in Home Ec was a smocked one! . . .I know you're not surprised. . . I do still have it. . . A gold gingham large check number. . . not at all as delicate and beautifully made as these. . .


While I was primping the farmhouse chairs, I wanted to try a bibbed apron look. . . I started with an adult apron. . . .For me, it was way too long, too wide, and I saw nothing of the chair. . .I remembered a couple of children's aprons I'd picked up on a recent junkin' trip. . . Maybe they would work? . . .I love them! . . .Perfect size, too. . . The problem (if you want to call it a 'problem') is---I only have two. . . .Oh, Shoot! . . .Now, I have to go junkin' again. . . (grin). . .

What do you think? . . .Which are your favorites? . . .Aprons and Farmhouse go together. . .There's no doubt about it. . . like two peas in a pod. . .The inspiration came from a magazine. . .but I made it all my own. . .without getting out the sewing machine!

PLAIN AND SIMPLE. . .Farmhouse Style.


To all of you dear, dear blogging friends. . .Thank you so much for your kind and concerned comments about my close call with a staph infection. . . I haven't been able to visit much with you these last few weeks. . . My time on the net has been limited. . .only a few minutes here and there. . . The swelling and infection affected my eyes, making it uncomfortable. . .besides the fatigue. . .To tell you the truth, it zapped me!. . .And that's it in a nutshell! . . .I am doing MUCH better. . . Now to get caught up. . . and get back--GRADUALLY--into the world again. . . I hope this will be the first of several posts to come this month. . . and I plan to be visiting with you again soon. . . Let's keep our fingers crossed. . .

Hugs and Blessing to You All
 
 


15 comments:

Dawn said...

Brilliant idea to use the aprons for chair covers. I love the look it is so charming :)

Pamela Gordon said...

These are the sweetest aprons and a really great idea. I love the soft pastels of the gingham ones but the embroidered ones are sweet as well. I'm so glad you are feeling better each day. I wish you a very blessed Easter. Warm hugs, Pam

Robin Johnson said...

Adorable and oh so pretty. What a wonderful collection of vintage aprons you have. I love this idea on how to use them ... so much better than sitting in a box somewhere.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

LOVE love this idea! Especially love the pastel pink and purple aprons. So Eastery and Spring!

Debby Ray said...

Oh my goodness....how stinkin' cute is this idea?? Those pastel gingham ones remind me of my mom...she always wore gingham. So glad that you are feeling better too! I hope your Easter is blessed!

Diane said...

The gingham check aprons are so cute on those chairs. What a clever idea and I love the smocking and embroidery details. You're taking me back to my grandparent's farm. Such a charming idea!

Anonymous said...

What a super cute idea! Your apron collection is fantastic. I really love the embroidered one. Stay well!
Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com
History & Home link party, Tue-Fri, weekly

cynthia lee designs said...

What a cute idea for chair covers...love them!! So glad that you are feeling better.
hugs,
Cindy

Pam said...

Very cute idea! I love your pretty aprons.
Have a wonderful Easter!
Hugs,
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

camp and cottage living said...

I'm glad your eyes are doing better. How hard that must have been for you...
I have not seen this idea for decorating chairs with apron atop the seat. I do like it!

Old Time Cindy said...

What a great collection of aprons you have. Perfect way to display them!

JP said...

Cute chair covers! Sorry to hear that you've been ill, but glad you on the road to recovery!
JP

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Dru, I saw that article and loved it too! Of course, you added your style and your vintage apron collection is gorgeous! Staph infection is such a scary thing. I am so glad that you are feeling better. I will keep you in my prayers dear friend! So happy to have you back and thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

The Charm of Home said...

Oh, the aprons are so cute on the chair seat! Thanks for joining HSH!

Tonita said...

Just found your blog and really like it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...