Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Thrifty Cupboard from a Screen Door, Chicken Wire, Pallet and Scrap Wood


From the Farmhouse Kitchen (Summer Farmhouse Kitchen Reveal). . . .let's move into the Farmhouse Living Room. . . .that last room to complete. . . .the one that seems to always be at the bottom of the 'to do' list. . . .I need to see a little progress there. . . .A cupboard would be nice, I thought. . . .to hold extra feed sacks and linens. . . .to hide DVDs and CDs. . . .to store favorite magazines. . . .

Out I went to storage. . . .not knowing what I'd find. . . .Then my eyes spotted a cupboard. . . .a cupboard John built a few years ago. . . .the last of many he crafted and sold. . . .utilizing a screen door someone threw away, chicken wire he found in the barn, wood from donated pallets, scrap wood from the shop, yard sale hardware. . . .PERFECT!!

 The only problem. . . .It was painted green. . . .easily changed. . . .Grab that paint brush!






Once painted, it looked a little plain. . . .
I added newspaper (wallpaper) to the shelves.
Still needed  something. . . .

Boo happened in. . . .to check out my progress. . . .I was inspired. . . .

A black cat?. . . .Yes!. . . .Imagine that!


I did more than imagine it. . . .By chance, I'd just bought a shelf cat at a yard sale last week. . . .Must have known I'd need it soon?. . .Thanks, Boo. . . .


Half a vintage thread spool became the knob. . . .
And, there you have it. . . .


One corner done.


. . .from my farmhouse to yours. . .

27 comments:

Melanie said...

Love it, love it, love it! It is aweaome. You have given me an idea now. Thank you for sharing!

Patty Sumner said...

It is just the perfect piece for your home.. Love how you displayed all the goodies in it...yes, even your little black cat..Your home is simply Farmhouse gorgeous! Would love for you to stop by and visit with me.Blessings!

Phyllis @Around the House said...

I love the way the linens look behind that chicken wire, it is so vintage and fresh and chic...thanks for sharing...come on over I have some country watermelon for you...Phyllis

Unknown said...

I love it ALL. . .

Unknown said...

I love it!!
LOVE LOVE LOVE It!
Hugs,
Tam

Dawn said...

I love it:) and that black cat is such a cute idea. Perfect!!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Lovely! Very inspiring! When do we get to see the rest of the room?

Anonymous said...

So sweet Dru, your projects are always amazing. Thanks for sharing.
blessings, jill

Junkchiccottage said...

Dru I love this. What a sweet cabinet. Love the chicken wire so creative. That little corner is perfect with this cabinet. Love it!!
Kris

Florida Farm Girl said...

Oh, I like that cupboard!! I can just see quilts stacked in there.

Old Time Cindy said...

Seriously...when can I borrow John!?! Between the two of you...you have great taste. It's just the right touch of farmhouse decor!
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy@OldTimePickers

Debby Ray said...

Now that is stinkin' adorable! I mean that in a GOOD way :)

Sunnybrook Farm said...

It really did need that black cat, how about that!

Okio B Designs said...

I just love the look of chicken wire. And it fits so perfectly here. You had me cracking up with your kitty looking at the faux kitty. What a classic shot!

Jeanine

ANNE said...

Simply gorgeous! Love everything about this. Great job xox

Brenda Pruitt said...

Very, very pretty! I love it. I think your cat wants that shelf cat!
Brenda

cynthia lee designs said...

Love, love, love it!! It turned out great. Looks like your kitty likes it too!
hugs,
Cindy

Adina said...

Absolutely love it!!!!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

I love screen doors!
This one, on your cupboard... reminds me of the one on my front door!
I like it! You can't go wrong with chicken wire either.
Can't wait to see the rest of it.
so cute,Pat

Pam said...

I love your sweet cupboard! The chicken wire looks great and I just love the little vintage thread spool for the handle!
Hugs,
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Faith said...

My first visit here, your cupboard turned out just so pretty. I'm inspired....

Tammy said...

I love it!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Love it Dru! So happy that Boo came along to inspire you. Looks lovely with it's new white coat. Drooling over your old feed sacks!
hugs,
Jann

Barbara Jean said...

love love love it!
how long did it take???

hopin' my sweet fella might make me one. =)

be blessed
barb

Anne said...

Oh I love this! I found something similar at a thrift shop.I was trying to sell it...it did not sell...lucky me I am keeping it and will be repainting it soon :-) Thank you for the inspiration!Your kitty is sweet :-)
xx
Anne

Art and Sand said...

I am in love with that cupboard.

I am reading backward and just commented on your dry sink. Now I am thinking it would be fun to try to build something like your cupboard. I am friends with the shop teacher from my former school so he could cut the pieces for me. That would certainly be a fun challenge.

Anonymous said...

This cupboard is gorgeous! Love the chicken wire door, and the way you've decorated it all, just fabulous. Thanks for sharing, I saw your link at Cozy Little House.
Mary

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...