Friday, August 10, 2012

A Typical Day. . . .


Let me begin this post by saying, there is no typical day at the farm for us. . . .
But, I have so many people ask me, "What do you do all day out there?" that I thought I'd show you a day in our life. . . .
So, I grabbed my camera, as I went out the door at 5:30 a. m.. . . .

Loaded up the wicker in my handy little cart. . . .and headed for the "gazebo". . . .John calls it a gazebo, but it's actually an old corn crib that we re-floored and screened in. . . . We got busy and hung the swing and moved in the outdoor furniture that we had painted on a previous day. . . .

We then headed for a storage building and thought we could move a 150 pound, wood burning iron cookstove to one of the shotgun houses that we will eventually have open for a bed and breakfast. . . .Yeah, I said we thought we'd move it. . . .After trying to lift it onto a dolly with a crowbar--and then an upright dolly--and then a longer crowbar--and stripping it of as much removable iron as we could--the stove hadn't budged an inch. . . .We had to call in some reinforcements. . . .

No need to waste time while waiting for help. . . .
Off to the pallet pile we went. . . .

for our next project--adding a top to a $5 table I bought at a yard sale. .  . .I needed a work table for the Shabby Shed--for potting flowers and such. . . .Pallet wood was perfect. . . .

Couldn't resist stopping long enough to take some shots of Mr. Smokey. . . .
He loves having his picture taken and strikes various poses
when he sees me with a camera. . . .

We found an old ammunition case in storage--
when we were attempting to move the stove. . . .
A rustic table maybe?  Pallet wood for the legs?  Yep. . . .

  I left John to his sawing and nailing for a few minutes and returned Mama Chick and her two babies to Daddy Rooster. . . . 

swept the porch and positioned the wheelbarrow
and bird houses for fall decorating. . . .

 and snapped a shot of Little Bit--Mr. Smokey's sis--playing in the grass. . . .
Actually, she was waiting for a lizard to come out from behind some bricks. . . .
Little Bit and Mr. Smokey are the farm exterminators. . . .

 Thank you, Billy!
He sent two of the farm men to move the stove for us. . . .
Lifesavers, that's what they were. . . .
They didn't even groan when they lifted that
150 pound iron stove onto the dollies. . . .
and loaded it on the truck. . . .
It's now set up and ready for the stove pipe. . . .on another day. . . .

 While our farm friends were here, they helped us move the last--
and heaviest--cabinet into the keeping room. . . .
Thank you. . . .thank you. . . .
We gave them an ice cold root beer, and they were on their way. . . .
farming to do, you know. . . .

So, it was back to the rustic table for us. . . .legs were nailed on. . . .
and we loaded up the truck with the work table, the rustic table,
baby bed springs, shutters we found in the barn,
and a chicken feeder--for delivery to the Shabby Shed. . . .

The rustic table became a rustic bench at the Shabby Shed. . . .
I might paint it later. . . .
or not. . . .

Old--really shabby--shutters went up on either side of the window. . . .
We attached the metal chicken feeder below the window for a flower box. . . .

The work table now sits under the Shabby Shed porch. . . .Mr. Smokey thought there might be food in that bowl. . . .The baby bed springs went above the table. . . .I'll use it to hang tools, buckets, "whatever" on. . . . .

Then it was off to storage building #2, to rummage around
and find items I can re-purpose for the Shabby Shed. . . . .
Found a few things and carted them back. . . .

 
And, then--it was NOON. . . . Time to eat. . . .
a quick veggie burger and salad before. . . .

 tackling a literal mountain of boxes in storage building #1. . . .
I went through about half of them. . . . .

while John went to work on the keeping room cabinets. . . .
making them fit snugly together. . . .

I have to laugh at the Simplify sign. . . . one day. . . . .soon. . . .


 And, now it's 5:45 p, m. . . .time to end the day. . . .
AFTER I hang one more wreath. . . . .
put the cats up in the shop. . . .
check on the garden. . . .

Just a typical day. . . .

9 comments:

Teresa@magazineyourhome said...

Haha, sounds like a typical day at my place! When you have a farm the work is never done but isn't it so rewarding?

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

what a fun post..I love that ammunition table..don't paint it..I love the details..and I love those kittehs..you had a busy but productive day..I loved seeing all the wonderful photos.;)oh and i love that stove too:)

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

NOON?!!!?
are you kidding me? You did all that before noon?
The pallet tables and the gun ammo box... tremendous!
I think they are great uses for old finds. That baby bed spring...put to good use.
The cabinets in the keeping room-- look great, can't wait for the reveal.

...i feel lazy,Pat

Shabby Brocante, Karen said...

Love that but, I am tired now! Wow! What a day. So productive. Love the "new" table. Amazing. The window boxes are great. SO clever!! All of it!

Cottage and Broome said...

Wow, farm life is very busy but it sounds like in a very good way. We get a similar question here in northern Michigan, but our is "what to you do up there in the winter with all that snow?" Love how your projects turned out. Thanks for stopping by, Laura

andrea@townandprairie said...

Your imagery is beautiful and I'd love to spend a day just sitting quietly in your corn crib reading magazines with you!

Kristin_Texas said...

Little Bit is so cute! I love that name.

Nice photo of the bench with the hat and flowers.

Kristin

Audrey said...

WOW ... I am tired. Don't know how you got all that done in one day. Would have taken me a week and I am a hard worker. Love it all and happy to see your re-purposing/recycling everything.
Blessings,
Audrey Z.
Timeless Treasures

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Enjoyed your typical day. No farm here, but I stay busy. Love how the table/bench turned out. Would not paint, cute like it is. I have that same concrete chicken. Sad to say no rooster and chicks. Poor chick-a-dee. She has a broken family. lol! Congrats on opening a B&B. That is so exciting. Let me know when. May have to schedule a visit.
Hugs,
Jann

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...