Thursday, November 14, 2019

Beginning The Holidays At The Fireside

It's Christmastime again. . .or it will be soon. . .and even though I love the Holiday Season at hand, I also often visit old memories, too. . .So why should this one be any different, huh?
I've been thinking today about an honor that is very connected to my camera-toting Dad. . .totally to his credit. . .and not my own. . .and I'll tell you why. . .
It all began when I opened the box of 2019 WINTER ISSUE OF COUNTRY RUSTIC MAGAZINE! . .I was speechless. . .One of my photographs had made the front cover!!! . .And there were more inside. . .
Wow!!!
But honestly, I take no credit for it. . . It is to my Dad's credit. . . All my life, Daddy was an historian with his camera. . .He documented his WWII experience with a camera. . .The first thing he did when I was born was grab his camera. . .We have the usual family photos of our outings and vacations. . .and it wasn't Thanksgiving or Christmas unless he was sneaking shots of the merriment that filled our house. . .He documented local and state activities as they happened. . . and took thousands of photos that are irreplaceable. . .
Daddy's many cameras were always with him. . .He taught courses in photography through a local college. . .He was Vice-President several times of the National PSA. . .as well as starting a Camera Club in our county. . .For several years, he went professional for weddings, parties and the school annual. . . He had his own dark room. . .He won gold medals nationally. . .The legacy he left just goes on and on. . .
The funny part is. . .I was his one failure. . .I just did not 'get' all those stops and buttons on a 35mm camera. . .Finally, Daddy gave up. . .One Christmas, he presented me with a Minolta 35mm automatic. . .My photos began to improve. . .but I still pretty much left the photo-taking to him. . .I still loved following him around to art shows and PSA meetings. . .We spent hours together in his dark room. . .I drove down many old country roads with him while looking for the perfect shot. . .But, I was content just to be with him. . .and leave the photography to the expert.

Then three things happened at almost the same time. . .First, I lost my Dad to cancer. . .Second, the digital camera came along and was affordable. . .Third, I realized that my head was full of photo shoot possibilities and it was time I put to use some of the skills my Dad had taught me. . .I almost felt him looking over my shoulders and encouraging me. . .Showing me what to look for. . .Guiding me as I looked for the right angles. . .I never snap the button that I don't think about Daddy and what he would have seen through the camera's eye. . .He is still with me. . .and I'm so glad a little bit of his talent rubbed off on me. . .but. . .

I claim no credit for the Country Rustic cover. . .because. . .
"This one's for you, Dad. . ."


2 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Dad! Congratulations on your photography and making "the front cover"!

Anna said...

What a stunning cover and a most beautiful tribute to your dad. I have no doubt he is looking over your shoulder, all smiles.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...