Thursday, May 26, 2016

Fruity, Nutty Sweet Bread Two Ways

 
SOURCE
 
 I recently attended an AFTERNOON TEA, English style. . .We dressed in vintage clothes. . .including big flowery hats. . .and each of us brought a SWEET TREAT. . .with the stipulation that the sweets had to be baked from a VINTAGE RECIPE. . .and each of us was to bring copies of the recipe to share.
 
I chose a SWEET BREAD from the 1940s. . .one that I had found years ago in my Grandmother's recipe box. . .I had never seen such big chunks of FRUIT AND NUTS in a bread, but found it to be a perfect tea bread. . .or. . .breakfast bread. . .I love to toast a piece and then slather on a little real butter. . .Rich and filling. . .Great with coffee or tea.
 
So. . .here is the ORIGINAL RECIPE. . .
 
 
 
Although I have to admit I am more of a traditionalist, this second recipe is quicker. . .I love cooking from scratch. . .but if you have little time. . .or you're not fond of baking. . . here's the 21st century PILLSBURY recipe that can be on your table within 45 minutes. . .
FRUIT-NUT BREAKFAST BREAD
 
 1 can (11 oz) Pillsbury™ refrigerated crusty French loaf
1 cup dried apricots, chipped
1/2 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 to 2 teaspoons milk
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray Cookie sheet with cooking spray. Carefully unroll dough onto cookie sheet. Sprinkle apricots, dates and almonds evenly over dough. Starting with the long side, roll up; seal edges. Fold ends under; seal. Bake 26-30 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove loaf from cookie sheet; place on serving plate or cutting board. Cool 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir powdered sugar and enough milk until smooth and thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle icing over slightly cooled loaf. To serve, cut diagonally into slices with serrated knife.
Both recipes are delicious. . .When John was asked which recipe he liked the best, his answer was, "Whichever one I'm eating!". . .He's only spoiled a little !!!!
 
 
 Remembering my DAD this MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND. . .
who served in the U S Navy during World War II.
He loved this COUNTRY and flew the Stars and Stripes Everyday of his LIFE.
He never forgot to HONOR those who lost their lives in war.
 
The Sweet Bread Recipe came from his Mom.
 
 
 

2 comments:

srpprcrftr said...

Have to say the first recipe sounds so much like bread my Mom/her family made, looks like it also. Her Mom and sisters were all excellent bakers for all years I was around them, my Mom too. She even made her own noodles and made a delicious kuckan. Also her ice box cookies, no wonder I have such a sweet tooth and the figure to go along with it, love to eat home made goodies.
My Grandmother was from Switzerland and did she ever like to cook and eat. My Mom was one of seven, 4 sisters and 2 brothers. Until we moved to Tucson from Cleveland, OH the family all lived in same area.
Bet everybody loved your tea bread. How fun to dress in vintage clothing.
Happy weekend

Pam said...

This looks delicious! I'm sure it was a favorite at the tea party. You should have posted a photo of yourself in the vintage outfit you wore, complete with hat!
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...