Sunday, March 22, 2015

SUNDAY: Heart Song



"Once upon a time there was a great man who had a little girl. As she was growing up, the man would hug her and tell her, "I love you, little girl." The girl would pout and say, "I'm not your little girl anymore." The man would laugh and say, "You'll always be my little girl."
Even after she left home and went into the world, the man would call her and say, "I love you, little girl." The day came when she received a phone call that the great man had a stroke. He couldn't tell the little girl, who was not so little anymore, that he loved her, and so she went to his side.
When she arrived, he looked small and not so strong at all. He tried to speak, but he could not. The girl climbed up on the bed next to the great man and laid her head on his chest. She thought of how she had always felt protected and loved by him. She felt grief for his words of comfort and the loss she was about to endure. Then she heard, from deep within, his heart beating out the words he could no longer say. . .I love you, little girl. . .I love you, little girl. . .and she was comforted." --Patty Hansen from Condensed Chicken Soup for the Soul

While I did not write Heart Song,
it IS my story of a deep and loving relationship I shared with Daddy. . .
I was there when he passed into another life. . .
His last words were,  "Love you."
 
Daddy's birthday is this week. . .
Thank you for allowing me to be a bit sentimental. . .
in remembering a great man in my life. . .
 
"LOVE YOU, TOO, DADDY"




11 comments:

Jan said...

Oh my-this brought tears to my eyes. My daddy passed away in 2007 and I miss him every day.

Debby said...

Our dads passed away close to the same time. Wow, this story is sweet but so sad.

srpprcrftr said...

This indeed brought tears to my eyes also. It's so hard isn't it?
I was a young woman when my Dad died, we didn't get to be as much to each other as we could due to interference from a close relative who always tried to keep herself between us. Been told I'm very much like him in many ways, to me that's a big compliment. Oh if we could only redo those times we regret.
When my Dad died that relative told me I caused him angst by having too many babies. At that time I believe I had 3, I hope he knows what wonderful people those three "babies are. He'd be proud of them.
A Father's relationship with his children is a special one, I always tried so hard to make him proud of me. Now my sibling and I are older than Dad when he died.
Can only imagine your Dad was sorry to leave you and was extremely proud of person you had become. You'll never forget your Dad, as it should be. Your memories will last you the rest of your life. Enjoy every one of them.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

We will always be Daddy's little girl. My Daddy died that year also and I miss him so much. Hugs to you. ♥

Georgia Milton said...

this is so sad, it really makes me cry. It's so hard to realize that a person who love is not anymore here.
We always be our daddy's little girls and it would be great if they know how much we love them.

End of lease cleaners Greenwich

Maureen Wyatt said...

Thanks for letting us cry along with you for all the great daddies we have lost.

Belinda Lawson said...

Love this lost my dad in 2002 my heart still melts When I think of losing him

Pamela Gordon said...

What a sweet post in remembrance of you daddy. My dad passed from a massive heart attack at the kitchen table during supper. It happened so fast we didn't say good bye. I was 19 and there wasn't CPR in those days. So long ago. :( I'm glad you were there to say good bye to your daddy. Hugs.

SouthernHeart said...

My Daddy has been gone many years but I miss him still. Not a sweet post. God bless you in your remembrances...

SouthernHeart said...

Just read back over this. I MEANT such a sweet post!

SouthernHeart said...

I MEANT such a sweet post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...