Sunday, October 26, 2014

SUNDAY: Lawdy, Lawdy


"For the most part. . .Southern religion is about decorum. We dress up right, we sit in the pews waving our fans just so, we nod when we're supposed to and whisper amen, and we sing just loud enough for the Lord, but not our neighbors, to hear us. And when the service is over, we make sure we say a kind word or two to the minister on the way out the door. . . .

Now, even those of us who've been singing Southern hymns since time began sometimes forget that that classic hymn is NOT called "All Glory, LAWD, and Honor" but "All Glory, LAUD, and Honor"! But this mix-up is purely Southern, and we'll forgive it. Other expressions you're likely to hear in a Southern church include:
"Lawd, have Mercy!"
 
"Good Lawd!"
 
"Lawdy, Lawdy, Lawdy!"
from The Grits Guide to Life
 
I'm poking a little fun at our Southern ways, but I wouldn't change my upbringing in the Church for anything. . .
Makes me want to break out in song:
 
"Do Lawd, Oh Do Lawd, Oh do you 'member me?
Oh Lawdy. . ."
 
 
(BIG GRIN)
and SUNDAY BLESSINGS. . .


7 comments:

Florida Farm Girl said...

Isn't it amazing how those song NEVER leave us? And, truth be told, I love them still.

Debbie said...

My 20 year old grandson has started saying, "Oh my Lord!" in typical Southern fashion. It's a howl.

Barbara Jean said...

fun post.
I could not more sing quiet if my life depended on it.(although I am sure those around me wish I would. I have a 'joyful noise' voice.

and it is all I can do not to jump up and down and dance when worshiping Him.

But He knows the hearts, and traditions, of all His children.

That we honor Him, and walk in His light and love are what He desires of His children.

Sunday blessings, also with a smile,
Barb

Debby Ray said...

"Do Lawd" has been a family favorite of mine all my life...I was singing it with my seven brothers and sisters since I was three!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I haven't quite mastered singing just loud enough for the Lord, but not so my neighbors can hear. :) I know this song by heart and we never sing it in church..I'm assuming I am channeling my childhood VBS days when I sing it. Also- Jesus loves me, this I know. Blessings.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Love your Southern outlook on things! I have traveled through the South a couple of times and love to note the cultural differences. Our cousins live in Texas and to us Wisconsin-ites it feels very southern!

Sam I Am...... said...

Oh, that is too weird...I have been singing the last one, "Do Lawd" for at least a month around here. I don't think I got it from church though as up North we didn't sing that one but probably from t.v.
LOL! Too coincidental.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...