Tuesday, April 22, 2014

White--Wicker--Wood

 
 
 Good Morning, Everyone! . . .I have a special reveal in the kitchen for you!
Setting the stage for warmer weather and ending the clutter of winter.
White-Wicker-Wood are the style elements. . . .The wall of cupboards 
was the place I focused on. . . .It's the bright spot of our kitchen,
 especially when the sun is shining as it was this past weekend.
Put on you sunglasses. . . .
A few of these images are bright. . . .and not due to a
camera malfunction either. . . .The room is honestly this bright.
 
 
My 'Go-To Three' for Summer--every Summer--are:
 
WHITE--Bright, Warm and Clean
WICKER--Warm and Inviting
WOOD--to make everything Pop!. .A 'backdrop'. .
.A 'canvas' to 'paint' my style upon
 
I threw open the cupboard doors to show the white
 of our ironstone pieces and the backdrop of wood. . . .
I pulled the white wicker chair off the porch and wrapped a
flour sack around the cushion. . . .That took care of the 'white'. . . .
What about the top of the cupboards?
It's always a challenge to me for some reason. . . .until this year.
 
 
I've loved wicker storage for years and have accumulated
numerous baskets. . . .open ones and picnic style.
Until now, I've utilized them in the library to hide loose papers,
cards, office supplies, anything that was potential clutter.
In that room I also stacked the baskets on top of the bookshelves. . . .
As I began cleaning out the library this winter, I gave away boxes of clutter
 that had collected over the years. . . .that I'd crammed into the wicker baskets.
Once I finished, I had several empty ones. . . .That's when I decided
to move the extra baskets to the kitchen to help with the clutter of my collections there,
as well as to hide those items I didn't use everyday but still needed them handy. . . .
I'm sure you know what I mean. . . .Seems like every time I put those
not-so-much-needed items into storage, within a few days
I'm looking for them again.
 
I wasn't sure how the wicker would look in the kitchen--might be
too plain and maybe look top heavy--but John and I both love the look. . . .
the clean lines and  simplicity.
 

Isn't it odd that we get into such ruts of thinking without
 challenging ourselves with new ideas? . . .The wicker baskets have always
been a part of the library. . . .I never thought to use them anyplace else.
There's a lesson in this, ladies!
We need to walk around our homes more often 
with an eye for the possibilities, don't we?
 
That's how this one wall reveal came about in the kitchen. . . .
Not a lot of changes but made a big difference.
Oh. . . .As always, I needed a splash of color, too. . . .but I'm sure you noticed that!
What can I say? . . .I like a little color with my whites.
 
There are many images for inspiration in this post. . .
I won't talk on and on about each little detail. . . .
Instead, I'll let you scroll down them at your leisure.
If you'd like to see what my other 'Go-To Three' for the kitchen are, please visit
 
Hope you enjoy these changes with Summer in mind. . . .
Time to scoot Old Man Winter out the door!
 
 










 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 . . .from my farmhouse to yours. . .
 
 
I'm sharing this post at a few of my favorite parties: * Share Your Cup * Simple and Sweet Fridays * Be Inspired * Home Sweet Home * Feathered Nest Friday
 
 
Post Note: I'm having problems with my email--found out yesterday that this
has been going on since the first week in April. Some of my emails are not going
to you and I'm not receiving a few of yours. . .If you've tried to get in touch with me
and I haven't answered, I probably didn't get the message. . . .I've also noticed
some of my comments on your blogs are coming back also. . . .Yahoo is suppose to be
working on it today. . . .We'll see. . .(sigh)
 
 

31 comments:

Debra@CommonGround said...

love love love the wicker on top of your cupboards!!!

Debra@CommonGround said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann said...

White, wood and wicker make a wonderful combo. I LOVE what you did in your transformation to spring and summer!!! I have the same problem with the top of my cabinets--don't know why sometimes it can be so hard to decorate. The red geraniums are gorgeous in there too.
Ann

camp and cottage living said...

I like the contrast of the wicker with the white.
And, of course, geraniums are a maintain in my summer kitchen!

Pamela Gordon said...

I love that wall of white cabinets! It looks beautiful with the wicker on top, the black iron cooking vessels, the white ironstone and the pop of red in the geraniums. It looks very summery with the wicker chair too. Bring on summer!!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Love the wicker on the top and I absolutely swoon over the cast iron on the side!!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

It certainly is time to get Old Man out the door! Love the wicker, especially the chair. I have my eyes peeled for a few chairs as I have a cosy enclosed porch to sit in this year!

Old Time Cindy said...

Hey...those baskets look great on top of your cupboards. And your kitchen is so bright and cheery!
Hugs!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Dru, I am loving your cabinet and the wicker above. The wicker chair is the perfect addition. Such a wonderful look and so inviting. The red geraniums add such a great touch.
Wishing you a happy springtime.
Hugs!!

Susan said...

I just love the bright cheery room you have created. Thanks for sharing!

Sam I Am...... said...

I swear you're going to get me to give up my clutter and paint everything white and that would not be a bad thing! LOL! Your kitchen looks so lovely and "crisp and fresh" which is what we all want after a long winter. Great job!

Patti said...

You inspire to keep some of my wood natural. I was just debating painting my farmhouse chairs, but I like a bit of wood, too. Everything is very pretty.

Florida Farm Girl said...

I'm not normally a big fan of white all over, but this room could make a believer out of me. I LOVE it!!! All those textures just sing together.

Down Blueberry Lane said...

Its been awhile since I have visited. Now that I have home Internet I can read your inspiring Blog. Love what you have done. Really love the Geraniums. They are my favorite annual.

cynthia lee designs said...

I love your white, wood, and wicker!! Also love the red geraniums...touches of red are one of my favorite things in my décor.
I'm having the same problem with comments that I'm leaving for others coming back to me. I also put up a new post and it posted that one and several old post at the same time. Wish they could get these problems fixed.
hugs,
Cindy

Pam said...

Everything looks beautiful!
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Wonderful design, I really admire the contrast of the white with natural wood interiors of the cupboards, and the addition of the wicker a perfect compliment! Who says white is cold and sterile? I say absolutely not when showcased so delightfully! Beautiful kitchen!

Faded Charm said...

Three of my favorite things!!! You've pulled it all together so well and it looks wonderful. Those red geraniums remind me of an old farmhouse and are the perfect accent color to all your neutrals.

Have a nice week.

xoxo
Kathleen

The Speckled Hen Cottage said...

What a fresh new look...those wicker baskets look right at home! What a wonderful wall of cabinetry and that floor is spectacular!!! Your blog is wonderful, popped over from Simply and Sweet Fridays~~~

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Awesome! We were just making some geranium pots for the store this week...bring on the sunshine (more like what you have in your room please!!!) Geraniums always remind us of our grandmother....great memories :) Have a wonderful weekend ahead!

Deb said...

This looks fabulous. I love white to start with and have always found wicker to be so charming. I love your cupboards and am wondering if they are built-in? They are fabulous. Reminds me of my grandmother's cupboards in her farmhouse many, many years ago. Deb

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

I adore the wall of cabinetry with all that gorgeous wicker....it looks wonderful!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

I love everything... absolutely everything about your bright and cheery farmhouse kitchen! Your geraniums are just the prettiest pop of color!So happy to find you!

Audrey said...

I love that hatstand and old bonnet mixed in with you baskets. I may do that with my baskets in the office if I did not get rid of all my old bonnets. Thanks for sharing your wonderful decorating ideas.
Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

Linda Walker said...

So beautiful! Loving all that white and wicker! I'm a collector of baskets myself!
Linda
mysewwhatblog

The Charm of Home said...

These are a wonderful combo. Love the wicker!
Sherry

Simply Suzannes at Home said...

Suzanne of Simply Suzannes at Home

Oh my goodness, I LOVE your kitchen! I love all of it!! The wicker and white stoneware is so beautiful . . . and the pop of red from the geranium is perfect.
Thanks so much for sharing!
I feel inspired :0)
Have a wonderful week,
Suzanne

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Dru, I love the wicker! It gives the farmhouse a warm and cozy feel. I agree that we need to look around and see what might be fun to move into another room. The combination of the three is fabulous! I just picked up another old wicker picnic hamper. I have two and hope to find more. I have a bee skep on my table. It's the one I bought in Williamsburg. Yours looks great mixed in with the wicker baskets. So happy to have you back and joining in with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Hi Dru, just hopping back to let you know that I will be featuring you at SYC. Love this my dear!
hugs,
Jann

Sarah said...

I've long had a love affair with wicker, so seeing your pretty white wicker chair and the wonderful baskets above your cupboards makes me smile. I'm pinning some of these images. Great look!

Tonita said...

I just found your blog. I love this post and am now inspired to sift through your posts to see more of your lovely farm house.

Tonita@www.ShabbyChicTinyRetreat.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...