Thursday, April 17, 2014

Fit To Be Tied


Hi Everyone!
We woke up yesterday morning to frost. . .VERY rare for us this time of year. . . But I think some of our friends to the North had snow! . . .It IS the middle of April, isn't it? . . .and Easter is right around the corner?

I wanted to brighten up the summer kitchen chairs with slipcovers for Spring. . .I let time get away from me to do any sewing before Easter. . .Then I remembered an idea I saw in one of the popular country magazines this year (was it Country Living?). . . I thought it was a clever idea and so simple. . .Made me say to myself, "Now why in the world didn't you think of that?"

APRONS. . . Straight from the collection. . .Washed--starched--and ironed. . .It's a fast dress up for  farmhouse chairs--like one-step slipcovers! . . .


It's as simple as tying the apron onto the chair. . . The magazine suggested that you leave the strings a little loose so they won't pull when you sit down. . . .A good idea. . . I went one step further and placed double-side sticky tape right on the chair to keep the aprons from shifting. . . Problem solved. . . .


For Easter, I love the pastel colors of these half aprons. . . Luckily (grin),  I have quite a collection of the smocked ones to choose from. . . I had plans to one day draw patterns from the different designs. . . Back when Mom and I were English smocking everything in sight, I thought the gingham smocking would be a nice diversion. . . That was how many years ago? . . .I don't want to count. . . I no longer have any illusions that I'll ever copy the patterns. . . But, I'd never part with the aprons. . . Probably because the very first apron I made in Home Ec was a smocked one! . . .I know you're not surprised. . . I do still have it. . . A gold gingham large check number. . . not at all as delicate and beautifully made as these. . .


While I was primping the farmhouse chairs, I wanted to try a bibbed apron look. . . I started with an adult apron. . . .For me, it was way too long, too wide, and I saw nothing of the chair. . .I remembered a couple of children's aprons I'd picked up on a recent junkin' trip. . . Maybe they would work? . . .I love them! . . .Perfect size, too. . . The problem (if you want to call it a 'problem') is---I only have two. . . .Oh, Shoot! . . .Now, I have to go junkin' again. . . (grin). . .

What do you think? . . .Which are your favorites? . . .Aprons and Farmhouse go together. . .There's no doubt about it. . . like two peas in a pod. . .The inspiration came from a magazine. . .but I made it all my own. . .without getting out the sewing machine!

PLAIN AND SIMPLE. . .Farmhouse Style.


To all of you dear, dear blogging friends. . .Thank you so much for your kind and concerned comments about my close call with a staph infection. . . I haven't been able to visit much with you these last few weeks. . . My time on the net has been limited. . .only a few minutes here and there. . . The swelling and infection affected my eyes, making it uncomfortable. . .besides the fatigue. . .To tell you the truth, it zapped me!. . .And that's it in a nutshell! . . .I am doing MUCH better. . . Now to get caught up. . . and get back--GRADUALLY--into the world again. . . I hope this will be the first of several posts to come this month. . . and I plan to be visiting with you again soon. . . Let's keep our fingers crossed. . .

Hugs and Blessing to You All
 
 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...