Thursday, February 27, 2014

Popcorn and Redwork


I bet your first thought was "HUH?"
What does popcorn and redwork have to do with each other?
 
 
The Answer?
Nothing--Normally--In this instance, they do.
Hang in there. . . .It will all become clear to you soon.
 
I wanted to brag a little. . . .Hope you don't mind.
I've told you over and over that I have no green thumb. . . .
but LOOK at my geraniums!
It's WINTER. . . .They're BLOOMING. . . .
The stems seem to be reaching for the sky. .  .
but. . .hey. . .They're not dead!
 
 
I'm so proud of myself for not killing them.
In fact, I have five plants that are doing just fine. . .
although I think they'd rather be out in Summer sun,
but who wouldn't?
 
 
I'm as proud as these 'PUFFED UP' kitchen chicks.
Along with red and white Dollar Tree popcorn containers
the geraniums have added a POP of color to our winter days. . . .
(Get it?  A 'POP' of color? . . .grin)
 
 
Yesterday I found left-overs from the holidays, including two bags of popcorn. . . .a bag of those huge marshmallows. . . .(what DO you do with those?). . . .and a half bag of red vanilla candy chips. . . .I had the makings of something for John's sweet tooth! . . .perfectly coordinated with the red and white February décor. . . .But, February is almost over, you say? . . .All the more reason to use them up.
 
I found the recipe on Pinterest. . . .It's basically the one we've all used for Rice Crispie Treats. . . .In the past, I've added a lot more ingredients to it--nuts, chocolate chips, M & M's, Rice Crispies, candy corn--whatever I had on hand. . . .I call it Popcorn Hash when I add a number of items together. . . .But, all I had on hand were the three left-overs. . . .They became Mini Popcorn Balls to POP in your mouth. (There's that word POP again!). . . .Takes no time to whip up a batch using the microwave.
 
 
                 Marshmallow Popcorn Balls or Popcorn Hash                    
Makes 8-10 Regular Size Popcorn Balls
or 20-25 Mini Popcorn Balls
or a lot of Popcorn Hash!
 
1/4 cup butter or margarine
40  regular size marshmallows
1/4 tsp. salt (if butter is unsalted)
1 tsp vanilla, optional
12 cups popcorn, popped
 
Melt butter in a Pyrex bowl in the microwave.  Add marshmallows--salt and vanilla if desired. Continue to melt in the microwave, stopping to stir every 10-15 seconds.  Heat until all is melted and combined well.
(Total time in my microwave about one minute)
 Spread popcorn on a pan or cookie sheet that has been lightly buttered. Pour the marshmallow mixture on top and toss with wooden spoons. Add vanilla chips last and mix.
(Chips are added last so that they don't melt in the hot marshmellow mixture)
Shape into mini or large balls with well-buttered hands.
 
For Popcorn Hash: Before pouring marshmallow mixture, add to the popcorn your choice of nuts, candied fruit, Oreo cookie pieces, tiny marshmallows, anything you choose that will not melt. Pour warm marshmallow mixture over the top and lightly toss with wooden spoons. Then add the candies and chips. Toss again. When cool, break up into bite size pieces and store in a sealed container.
 

I'll make another batch for SUNDAY's indoor picnic. . . .
(See where the redwork comes in?)
This time it will be 'Hash' and filled with all sorts of goodies,
which means a visit to the grocery store. . . .ugh. . . .
maybe I'll send John. . . .because. . . .
 
I was hoping there would be a few mini popcorn balls left for the weekend. . . .
Not a chance. . . .Mr. Sweet Tooth has discovered them!
I can see now. . . .
 
They're history!!!!
 
. . .from my farmhouse to yours. . . 
 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay to you and your blooming geraniums! They are so pretty. I'm loving that darling red work tea towel and my favorite snack is popcorn so I may just have to try this! I love how you've set up the red and white! So pretty.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Debby Ray said...

Well, I must say I'm impressed! The geraniums are lovely against the white and couldn't be more adorable in that popcorn container (which I have one just like in my cupboard!) Abd the popcorn balls/hash look AMAZING and so easy. Hmmm...you are inspiring me again!

Carolyn said...

I love your red & white! And I also love popcorn balls. LOL! They were quite pretty as well with your red decor. We also have some of those plastic popcorn containers. I never thought of using them for plants. Your geraniums are very pretty too!

lms said...

I just love your photos...and have added you to my blog roll....for all my followers to see.....girl, you have so much talent....you make my heart sing...thanks for the posts.....it brightens up my day every time you post...

Margs Primitive Quilts said...

Your red & whites look so crisp and clean together. Good for you to keep the geraniums blooming. I never have luck indoors with them.

- abigail - said...

Perfect photos! How wonderful to have blooms this early. I also am loving that tea towel

cynthia lee designs said...

Pretty geraniums!! Those popcorn balls look so yummy...no wonder Mr. Sweet Tooth can't stay out of them.
hugs,
Cindy

Florida Farm Girl said...

I love your geraniums. This is the first winter in a very long time that I've not had them blooming all winter long. 'Course, the blasted squirrels actually ATE all mine last fall. Never had them do that before. Time to go get some new ones, for sure, and the redder, the better.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Dru, your geraniums do look fabulous! Can't wait till I have some of those beauties. Just a few faux ones in my house for now. I love redwork and the towel is super cute! You've got me craving popcorn hash! I have some of those containers in my theater room and use them when ever we have popcorn. Better make some hash soon.
hugs,
Jann

Old Time Cindy said...

Good for you! I usually kill plants when I bring them inside. :)

Nancy said...

Cute post. I love to bring geraniums indoors for the winter. Like you, I'm not very good at growing indoor plants, but geraniums seem to consistently do well. Especially if they are in a direct light window. Yours are gorgeous. So bright and cheery. The redwork is wonderful. Thanks for sharing the popcorn hash, too. I'll have to try that the next time we have a get together with friends. ~ Nancy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...