Sunday, November 4, 2012

Simplifying the Farmhouse Cupboards


I couldn't wait to share this post--
just to prove to everyone that I HAVE simplified the keeping room cupboards--
--somewhat--
--okay--
--I mostly organized them--
if you want the truth about it.

All summer long, I've been cleaning out, but at the same time,
I've opened boxes I haven't seen in ten years.
You know what that means. . . .
It's like Christmas. . . .things look brand new. . . .
lost items are found. . . .can't part with all of it. . . .

Simplifying is so hard, isn't it?
I knew this would happen. . . .so, I had a plan. . . .
It's why we put in an entire wall of cupboards. . . .
 

I wanted at least three cupboards for storing items that we use in three different ways. . . .
It took me a couple of years to find the perfect match--
and then I only found two. . . .did I get some "oldies but goodies". . . .
In the above photograph, the center hutch and the right cupboard are antique--
the hutch dated 1936--the cupboard dated 1889.
Both were in good shape--only minor repairs were necessary--and paint--
to cover up all the different woods and colors of the originals.
The matching cupboard on the far left is a reproduction piece that John built,
 adding a drawer for linens--a drawer he lined in cedar--by the way. . . .
He added thread spools cut in half for the missing knobs on all the pieces.
And, of course, the iron pot shelves were crafted by him, too. . . .
He's pretty handy to have around. . . .don't you think?


 Let's take a look inside. . . .


Okay--don't laugh--I AM simplifying--don't let all this pottery fool you. 
I do use each and every piece--
mostly in our 18th-19th century open hearth cooking. 
No plastic here. . .
They didn't have Tupperware back then, you know. . . .

 It's a Pottery collection that spans over 30 years. . . . .


They're all stored in the 1889 Cupboard,  closest to the fireplace--
so they are handy for cooking. . . .
These aren't just pretties, they are our work horses. . . .


To make them even more special, with the exception of the redware,
most of the pieces in the upper cabinet were made by my cousin--during the 1970's-80s--
utilizing the clays in our area--primarily what we call "gumbo"--
thick, blue-gray goo that you don't want to walk through when it's wet--
You just might leave your shoes behind. . .

Bobby mixed the clay, "threw" the pieces on a wheel,
made the glazes himself, and fired them in a huge kiln that he built. . . .
He sold his pottery at shows and in stores.
Every now and then, I find a piece for sale at an antique store--but rarely.
People around here consider them treasures. . . .
Every Christmas, the entire family received pieces of his artwork . . . .
we've treasured them, too. . . .


Behind the lower cabinet door, I organized the pieces we use the most. . . .
included are redware, Williamsburg pottery, salt glazed, Shaker boxes, and crockery.
It will save me lots of time having everything in one place.
Before, I had it scattered everywhere.. . .
Now, it's handy and  next to the iron pots we use.

Our fireplace is being re-built, but it is close to being finished. . . .
Can't wait to start cooking a big pot of Irish stew. . . .


The center Hutch holds the ironstone and whites--
our everyday whites and the show pieces. . . .
I won't linger here long. . . .
You've seen most of these before,
and I'll probably do a post about them later. . . .


Well, to be honest, the lower section--behind closed doors--is still VERY full. . . .
Can't decide what to keep and what not to keep. . . .


I have so much white, I need to sell some. . . .
downsize more. . . .makes my head spin. . .
It's all neatly stacked, ready for a decision. 
One day soon, I'll get to it. . . .


Let's go on to the next cupboard for now. . . .
before I get bogged down on the hutch's "work in progress".

I call this one my Cottage Kitchen Cupboard.
It's where I plan to store all things glass and the chippy, vintage dishes that I love--
the ones I use most often. . .


There's lots of glass. . . .

My Aunt Mamie and I shared a love of glass, more so than silver, which was my Mom's favorite.  For us, there was nothing prettier than sparkling glass on the table. . . .I do have many of her pieces, that I don't use very often. It's stored in the living room showcase. . . .The 1940s leaf vase above was hers. . . .behind it is a vase belonging to my Grandmother Duncan. . . .growing up, I remember "Granny" using this vase for her roses. . . .She had a beautiful rose garden. . . .


All of these pieces are family pieces, from several individuals. . . .
It helps that I was the only girl in my family.
Even the cousins were boys. They weren't interested in keeping any of the pretties. . . .
All the better for me. . . .I treasure each one of them. . . .and use them in each person's memory. . .
I recently read somewhere that
as long as we keep telling our loved ones stories, their lives go on. . . .
I like that. . . .


Glass, glass, everywhere. . . .Just LOOK how it sparkles. . . .I love it. . .


The lower cabinet is filling up with lots of finds of everyday ware and fun stuff. . . .
most of it coming from 1930s-50s. . . .
Yes, I use it. . . .
I made the decision several years ago to use the things I love--
even if they are vintage. . . .



It's a decision I've never regretted. . .  .although I've broken a few things along the way. . . .
I fully enjoyed them til then. . . .


Love the older dishes that are chipped and stained--
that are mismatched. . .
that have been well-used and loved. . . .


I don't have a lot of pieces but enough to mix and match with the ironstone. . . .
And, I do have a few that I plan to sell. . . .to share my farmhouse style. . . .
I "feel in my bones" that an Etsy store is on the horizon. . . .

I so please with the way the cupboards are working out. . . . never had so much room. . . .
What I love about them, too, is that I can close all the doors
and my kitchen looks less cluttered and simplified. . . .

After all. . . .that WAS the goal. . . .wasn't it?


from my farmhouse to yours. . . .
The Farmer's Daughter

 I'll be sharing this post at the: * Old Time Party
Old Time Monthly Schedule 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...