Monday, November 19, 2012

Putting Thanks into Thanksgiving



Turkey dinners, cranberries, stuffing, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, pumpkin pie and family gatherings. . . .Are we all ready?


We're actually going out of town for Thanksgiving, but when I found the two beautiful ceramic pumpkins on sale at 80% off last week, I couldn't just pack them away for next year. . . .So, I grabbed some burlap, twig wreaths, glass candlesticks, a metal chick and started arranging a vignette for us to enjoy.

Something was missing, though. . . .

I thought about the old songbooks I have. . . .Thumbing through them, my eyes focused on one song in particular. . . .


"We Thank Thee, Lord"

I paused for a moment and thought how Thanksgiving should be a day to reflect and to offer Thanks. . . .just as the Pilgrims did back in the fall of 1621. . .As I read the words, I was overwhelmed with gratitude. . . .



"For all the blessings of the year, For all the friends we hold so dear, 
For peace on earth, both far and near, We thank Thee, Lord.

For life and health, those common things, Which every day and hour brings,
For home, where our affection clings, We thank Thee, Lord

For love of Thine, which never tires, Which all our better thought inspires,
And warms our lives with heavenly fires, We thank Thee, Lord."


What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving? 
Take a few moments to reflect on the blessings You hold so dear. . . .
And, celebrate in the spirit of Thanks Giving. . . .

from my Thankful farmhouse to yours. . . .



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...