Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Over the River and Through the Woods. . .


Remember that song from long ago?
"Over the river and through the woods,
To Grandmother's house we go. . . ."

I think it was more of a Christmas song than Thanksgiving. . . .but, it's been running round and round in my head today--as I prepare to leave for my cousin's home in the Ozarks. . . .
The words are changed to,
"Over the river and through the woods,
To my cousin's house we go. . . ."


A silly little song, I guess. . .especially the way I'm singing it. . . .
Yet, it brings back memories of Thanksgivings past. . . .Of Grandmother, my Aunts, and Mom in the kitchen, laughing and gossiping. . . .Of the wonderful smells of spices and turkey and cakes and pies. . . .Of my mischievous cousins--all boys--getting into anything they weren't suppose to--and of me, trying to stay away from them and the trouble they would eventually be in. . . .Of the men folk, sitting in the family room, talking about how the crops turned out and who won the Turkey Shoot. . . .

Most of all, it brings back memories of family. . . .and the love that embraced us all. . . .


The last time the entire Magers clan was together was Christmas 2001--Aunts, Cousins, Brother, Nephews, Mom and Dad, Spouses. What fun we had! As always. . . .

Seems a long time ago. . . .Seems like yesterday. . . .


But, life goes on--and we cousins continue to gather together every Thanksgiving at the oldest of the clan's home. . . .
There's still the same laughter in the kitchen. . . .the grandchildren playing pranks on each other. . . .the men talking harvests in the family room. . . .
Different time. . . .different place. . . .different faces. . . .different voices. . . .and, yet. . . .the same. . . .

"Over the river and through the woods. . . "
Is it any wonder I've been singing all day?
Each Thanksgiving we can be together with family is a blessing in itself. . . .

. . . .Wishing You and Your Family Special Blessings
on Thanksgiving Day. . . .

from my farmhouse to yours. . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...