Thursday, November 8, 2012

Keeping It Together--Idea Journals


This. . . .is how. . . .


I keep. . . .all this. . . .Together. . . .



A couple of years ago, I threw up my hands and said, 
"That's it! I gotta come up with something better."

I'm a magazine and catalog lover. . . .They are my main sources of inspiration for most
of the projects I do.  .  . I know many use Pinterest to pin their favorites. . . .
but, I need something I can hold in my hands--and write on--and flip back and forth. . . .

but, my piles of magazines and catalogs kept growing and growing. . . .

It never failed. . . .
When I was looking for an idea or recipe or fashion design
that I knew I saw in a magazine or catalog, I couldn't find it. 
I've spend days looking. . . . many times without success. . . .

A couple of  years ago, I came up with the idea
of cutting, pasting and journaling the styling finds, ideas,
and information I wanted to keep from the mags
 that were stacking up in a corner. . . .

Now, when I need inspiration or project instructions,
my first reaction is to stop and run to my idea journals. . .
they get me on track quickly. . . .

I don't try to scrapbook it or make it fancy. . . .
I write all over the pages, paste in notes, what I've tried, what works, what doesn't. . . .
the project I want to try now. . . .and the ones that are possibilities for the future. . .



I sometimes do sections for the different seasons. . . .
Birdhouses always fascinate me. . . .anything natural gets pasted. . . .



This year I have pages and pages of  Plain and Simple Farmhouse style. . . .



I intended to use these instructions this summer. . . .but never got around to it. . . .oh well. . . .there's always next year. . . .I won't have to search the mags
. . . .will know where to find it. . . .





To start your own journal, first choose the type of notebook that is comfortable for you. . .
It does make a difference. . . .to me, anyway. . . .
The possibilities are endless. . . .
There are no rules.



 Gather together tear-outs, information, notes, print-outs, ideas
--I have a box that I toss everything into--
Then when you have a little time,
 cut, past, tape, staple. . . .whatever it takes to get them in there. . . .

Again--NOTHING fancy. . . .



I do skip pages in between topics, to add more tear-outs or inspirations later.
 I also number the pages, so I can add an index in the front.  . . .



 You can see here how messy I can be. . . .yet,  everything is close at hand. . . .

I also keep a list of contacts--
addresses, email addreses, and/or phone numbers that I might need. . . .
now or in the future.


I have idea journals going back several years that I return to over and over again. . . .

It's a great time-saver, reduces clutter, and information is at my finger tips. . . .
I couldn't do without these handy little notebooks,
full of inspiration.

Well. . . .now, that I've shared this little tip with you,
I think I'll go tear and paste a few more pages. . . .
It put me in the mood !!!!

But, first--just a short note to let you know that I am having problems 
with the internet service this week.  I've had to drive 10 miles to the 
library in order to post the last two stories. . .and haven't been able to answer your
kind and sweet comments and emails. . . .Please know that I appreciate each and every
one of them--and I WILL get to them soon. . . .
once the internet service returns. . . .

Have a wonderful weekend!!!!!


 from my farmhouse to yours. . . .
The Farmer's Daughter

18 comments:

camp and cottage living said...

I have a simial notebook and they are so handy when you want to find a new idea!
I didn't have any of the photos you shared, so 'thank you' for the new eye candy!

Pamela Gordon said...

I have done that too! I thought it was a great idea until I found blogs. I have 2 nice coiled hard cover books filled with inspiration photos that I still go back to now and then but I haven't saved or torn or cut or glued in 2 years! I should go through my magazines and start ripping again. Thanks for the inspiration!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Love this idea! I have tried making a sewing project notebook a few times....didn't work. I think If I put up a project board that might work better. I need it right in front of my face where I can't forget!! But the notebook idea could certainly work for something else....
So sorry to hear your internet is on the fritz.... it is amazing how one depends on it!

Anonymous said...

what a great idea, I too am a magazine junkie, lol, this could straighten things up for me, a whole lot! I found you today from one of my friends blog list I'm so glad I have, I will enjoy following along

Tanya Breese said...

wow, that is a super idea, love it! i too am a magazine junkie and end up donating them to the library or goodwill or even school...love this idea!

Home Chic Club said...

This is great idea sweets! I am a magazine junkie too, and this is just the perfect solution for me. Thanks! Wish your problrm with internet will over soon.
Hugs,

Vesna

Old Time Cindy said...

I was starting to worry about you...sorry about the internet problems. I have a similar system for my magazines and such. I use the binder system with clear sheets to protect all my ideas. I have quite a few binders on a shelf and love everything all organized.
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

This is such a great idea! I am a magazine junkie too and I don't do Pinterest. I do have some files that I've put ideas into, but this looks like a much better idea. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I do the same thing Dru, though I do not have as many. I pulled out photos here and there as my style changes, but I like your idea better. To keep them year to year.

Cutting and pasting is always a good raining day project.

blessings, jill

cattus said...

I've ben doing this since the late 80s, but I use those cheap photo albums with the sticky pages an the plastic overlays. It's fun to look back and see how trends and my own tastes hsve changed.

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

I still do the same thing. I have 3 currently...that need some tending to. I have one that is the FAMILY HOLIDAY JOURNAL....this book has been going since 1994!!!
I have it out and when people come to my house between the dates of Oct 31- to Jan 1,2,or 3...(the first week) they are asked to sign it.
For the Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years...pages are added. Menues, attendance, who's who?, anybody pregnant, any significant changes, marriages, deaths, etc ...even the word of the Day (for that get together)OR whatever quirky little inside joke there happens to be.
People love our holiday journal...and now, know to ask about it when they visit.
I also have one for gardening that i started last year.
And one for decorating and projects!
I love REAL LIVE...CUT AND PASTE!

see you when you get back. Pat

cynthia lee designs said...

I've been doing the same thing for years. I have notebooks with the clear protecter sheets.
I also have a recipe journal with recipes from magazines that I glue the recipes on the paper and write stuff about where or who I got them from...and if they are good or not.
Hope your internet comes back soon.
hugs,
Cindy

Barbara Jean said...

Great idea!!

I guess if something no longer appeals to you, you can just paste a new one over it. =)

blessings and thanks
barb

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Dru,
Just last night I went through about ten magazines and tore out my inspiration pages. I see some of the same things I tore out on your pages. Yours are much cuter than mine. For years I have been tearing out the pages, putting them in a plastic sleeve and filing them according to theme in binders. I like you have to hold something in my hand. My oldest daughter keeps saying, "Mom, if you would do pinterest you wouldn't have to do that." Little does she know that I love doing that. May switch to your idea. Definately a cuter down home look than mine.
Hugs,
Jann
p.s. Hope you get your internet problem solved soon.

Anne Boykin said...

Your books are sweet! Sorry to hear about your internet problems, hope they get fixed soon.

JES said...

Love this :) I do this too except I slip them in plastic sheet protectors and into a binder. I have about 5 different subjects and they DO inspire... Yours was an inspiration too! :)

Ruby and Arthur said...

I have a magazine notebook, too. I can tear out something that interests me, but I don't have to keep the whole magazine. Such a great idea, Jean

Dewena said...

I have magazine tear outs going back to 1980s and that black and white checkerboard floor? 1985 House Beautiful cover! Never goes out of style. I did have all the first clippings about Martha Stewart going back to 70s but recently passed them along to daughter with her first books. Some classics last forever. Just discovered your blog but will love seeing more and waiting for the reveal!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...