Thursday, November 8, 2012

Keeping It Together--Idea Journals


This. . . .is how. . . .


I keep. . . .all this. . . .Together. . . .



A couple of years ago, I threw up my hands and said, 
"That's it! I gotta come up with something better."

I'm a magazine and catalog lover. . . .They are my main sources of inspiration for most
of the projects I do.  .  . I know many use Pinterest to pin their favorites. . . .
but, I need something I can hold in my hands--and write on--and flip back and forth. . . .

but, my piles of magazines and catalogs kept growing and growing. . . .

It never failed. . . .
When I was looking for an idea or recipe or fashion design
that I knew I saw in a magazine or catalog, I couldn't find it. 
I've spend days looking. . . . many times without success. . . .

A couple of  years ago, I came up with the idea
of cutting, pasting and journaling the styling finds, ideas,
and information I wanted to keep from the mags
 that were stacking up in a corner. . . .

Now, when I need inspiration or project instructions,
my first reaction is to stop and run to my idea journals. . .
they get me on track quickly. . . .

I don't try to scrapbook it or make it fancy. . . .
I write all over the pages, paste in notes, what I've tried, what works, what doesn't. . . .
the project I want to try now. . . .and the ones that are possibilities for the future. . .



I sometimes do sections for the different seasons. . . .
Birdhouses always fascinate me. . . .anything natural gets pasted. . . .



This year I have pages and pages of  Plain and Simple Farmhouse style. . . .



I intended to use these instructions this summer. . . .but never got around to it. . . .oh well. . . .there's always next year. . . .I won't have to search the mags
. . . .will know where to find it. . . .





To start your own journal, first choose the type of notebook that is comfortable for you. . .
It does make a difference. . . .to me, anyway. . . .
The possibilities are endless. . . .
There are no rules.



 Gather together tear-outs, information, notes, print-outs, ideas
--I have a box that I toss everything into--
Then when you have a little time,
 cut, past, tape, staple. . . .whatever it takes to get them in there. . . .

Again--NOTHING fancy. . . .



I do skip pages in between topics, to add more tear-outs or inspirations later.
 I also number the pages, so I can add an index in the front.  . . .



 You can see here how messy I can be. . . .yet,  everything is close at hand. . . .

I also keep a list of contacts--
addresses, email addreses, and/or phone numbers that I might need. . . .
now or in the future.


I have idea journals going back several years that I return to over and over again. . . .

It's a great time-saver, reduces clutter, and information is at my finger tips. . . .
I couldn't do without these handy little notebooks,
full of inspiration.

Well. . . .now, that I've shared this little tip with you,
I think I'll go tear and paste a few more pages. . . .
It put me in the mood !!!!

But, first--just a short note to let you know that I am having problems 
with the internet service this week.  I've had to drive 10 miles to the 
library in order to post the last two stories. . .and haven't been able to answer your
kind and sweet comments and emails. . . .Please know that I appreciate each and every
one of them--and I WILL get to them soon. . . .
once the internet service returns. . . .

Have a wonderful weekend!!!!!


 from my farmhouse to yours. . . .
The Farmer's Daughter

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...