Sunday, November 25, 2012

Farmhouse Touches


What gives the kitchen a plain and simple farmhouse feel?
For me, it's going back to basics. . . .
What is clutter and what do I actually use?

Once I got that concept into my head, it was fairly easy to turn the kitchen into one that had the right feel to it. . . .


Cookbooks were a must. . . .so were the sifter, bread board, and small pitcher . . .


Not knowing what to do with all the balls of twine and crochet thread used in and around my kitchen, I tossed them in a bowl in plain sight. . . .


Serving platters aren't just for display, they are in daily use. . . .
 

A symbol of remembrance, rosemary dries in the ironstone pitcher. . . .
It's also a great Christmas touch to tuck sprigs here and there.


Coffee, tea, and hot chocolate are another must. . . .keeping the heavy mugs close at hand. . . .


More herbs drying, cookbooks, and wooden utensils. . . .an iron pot scrubber. . . .salt for seasoning. . . .a crock filled with homemade cookies for the sweet tooth. . . .


Dish detergent in a canning jar, baking soda in ironstone, liquid soap in a Mrs. Butterworth bottle are found at the sink. . . .All functional. . . .all close at hand. . . .all "make-do". . . .


The farmhouse kitchen speaks of things that suggest they've been inherited rather than store bought. . . . Things that have stood the effects of time and use.

What I've decided is. . . .
Plain and Simple Farmhouse style, for me,  is not so much about style as it is a way of living. . . .


Be sure and watch for an announcement coming the end of this week. . . .
It's getting very hard to keep a secret!!!!
And, watch tomorrow for a special post. . . .
Lots going on. . . .but, then, it's that time of year, isn't it?

from my farmhouse kitchen to yours. . . .

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love all your farmhouse touches. Your kitchen is so warm,and beautiful.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post and great inspiration as I start to work on Christmas in the kitchen this week!

bee blessed
mary

Anonymous said...

I love seeing your pretties and your vignettes are very nice.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Old Time Cindy said...

The simplicity of your style tells its own story and it portrays a way of life. A good life.
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Maureen Wyatt said...

I'm very cramped for space in my kitchen and every decorative item must be actually used. I'm so in love with your kitchen that I'm tempted to hunt you down and move right in!

Anne said...

Love all the detail of your kitchen!Can't wait to hear the announcement too!
xx
Anne

Anonymous said...

such a lovley post, I understand you completely, having old treasures bring with them so much history, far better than new items, simple is best in my book too!

Simply Shelley said...

I agree with everything said about this post...love your farmhouse style....blessings

Pamela Gordon said...

I almost feel as if i've stepped back in time looking at your simple farmhouse kitchen. It is beautiful and practical. Blessings, Pamela

Brenda Pruitt said...

I love your touches and your farmhouse style. What are you up to I wonder???
Brenda

Unknown said...

Reminds me of a gentler time. I love the touches of vintage goodness!

Little Susie Home Maker said...

I think that your farm house style is like a memory. It is like when I used to be a kid and me and my cousins would snap wet flour sack towels at each other while drying the dishes. It is the memories that these things seem to conjure up and bring a warm feeling to your heart.
So what could you be announcing?
Blessings,
Susie

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Your kitchen looks so welcoming with all the warm touches of well worn goodies. The Mrs. Butterworth's bottle used for liquid soap is so charming!

Kimberly said...

Very fun! I spy a lot of the same treasures here in my farmhouse kitchen. :)

❁Velma ~Down Our Country Road❁ said...

I love simple touches. In fact, I think they often make the boldest statements. Lovely!!

cynthia lee designs said...

I love the farmhouse touches in your kitchen..so pretty and practical. Can't wait to hear what your announcement is and can't wait to see your special post tomorrow.
hugs,
Cindy

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Lovely simple touches for your farmhouse kitchen!

Mary said...

Very pretty vignettes! Visiting from Cozy Little House.

Olive said...

Love those soap bottles. Farms had to be functional and practical. You are living that beautifully.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Love the farmhouse touches in your kitchen! Those platers are just gorgeous! Love the liquid soap in Mrs.Butterworth!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Dru, you always have such great style. Love the collection of platters in the dish drainer. The smell of fresh herbs is wonderful. I have Rosemary growing in my kitchen window. Love rubbing my fingers across it now and then. Sweet farmhouse style!
Hugs,
Jann

Old Time Cindy said...

Hi, I'm back! Just wanted to thank you for boot scootin' on over to join the Old Time Party! I bought some white mugs at the flea market this weekend and would like to hang them in plain sight like you did here.
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Chenille Cottage said...

Hello my sweet friend!
As always...I am oooing and ahhhing at your warm and cozy country kitchen! How I wish I could stop by for a cuppa coffee and chat for a while.

I am happy to be coming to you through Cindy's darling Old Time Farmhouse blog.
Blessings,
Carolynn xxx

Parlor Room Ponderings said...

I enjoyed seeing all your "farmhouse touches"! I never thought to put my dish soap in the glass jar and keep in on a platter nearby. Guess what I'll be doing?!!
Thanks!
Blessings, Diane

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...