Sunday, September 2, 2012

Charming


We were blessed last week--the remnants of Hurricane Issac went to the west of us.
We did have some rain and wind, but nothing like they were predicting. 
Our internet connection was off and on as expected--not unusual--
it happens every time there's a storm anywhere close. 

I was also personally blessed--
I was stung by a wasp--on my leg--
while moving galvanized buckets off the store porch before the storms.
 I am allergic to bees, wasps, and fire ants and have
to take quick action--Benydryl and epinephrine.
Even with the medication, my leg swelled
 and was an angry red for days--headaches, nausea, swollen joints.
How was I blessed?
 Unknown to us, there was a nest of wasps where I was working.
Had I been stung more than once, it could have been very serious. 
So, I thank my guardian angels for watching over me. . .

John tried to make me stay in bed, but I'm not one to sit still even when I'm not well.
What I needed was a distraction while I recovered, 
so I sat myself down and did something charming--to be specific, charm bracelets--



I grew up during the era of gold and silver charm bracelets. 
We jingled with pride, as the layers of charms were added.
One problem with them, though, was the constant possibility
of losing a charm or two unless each charm was soldered on.
That could get very expensive.

So, I began making these junk bracelets years ago. 
If I lose a piece, it's no big deal--just add another.

I find  "junk" charms everywhere--
in drawers, jewelry boxes,flea markets, yard sales, freebies--
parts and pieces such as vintage jewelry, new jewelry, small locks, keys, 
wooden craft pieces, key chains, metal embellishments--
anything that is small enough for a bracelet is fair game. . . .


Just a lot of junk, put on a chain bracelet and oh, so F-U-N to make.


 I never wear one that I don't get tons of interest and compliments. 
I've even had ladies buy them off my arm!


I ended up making five bracelets while recuperating from my sting.
It helped pass the time, and now I have a few more bracelets
to wear and to give as gifts. . . .
A few names checked off my Christmas list. . . .
I wasn't about to let a little wasp sting cramp my style. . .

The good news is, I'm up and getting around just fine now. . . .
Only some red and tenderness left at the sting site. . . .
And one giant bruise. . . .

On to bigger projects--
like maybe "checkerboarding" the floor this week. . . .

13 comments:

Don said...

Very nice bracelets! It takes me back to when my wife had that silver jingly one around her arm way back in high school. Still has it today in her jewelry box. Added other charms to it along the way as our kids were born--then the grandkids. Her whole life story on a bracelet! Thanks for the memories.

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I do have my teenage charm bracelet in silver, but I have never made one. I love them. Also, glad you are better!

Old Time Cindy said...

Sorry you were stung and yes, you were blessed. Fun little charm bracelets. I still have mine from high school.

cynthia lee designs said...

Sorry to hear that you got stung. I have that same problem from bee stings. What great charm bracelets!! I have some that I made. One is all hummingbird charms and one is all sewing charms...these two are my favorite ones.
Have a great Sunday.
Cindy

Junkchiccottage said...

These charm bracelets are adorable. I remember collecting charms on my bracelet when I was younger!!!! Ohhh the memories. Wow what a blessing to not have been stung many times. Hope you feel better soon. Your cute bracelets are adorable.
Kris

Chenille Cottage said...

Oh, how bittersweet to read about your unexpected blessing! God did protect you and you gave Him the glory!

Your bracelets are fun..and so full of delightful personality and whimsy! You are so creative!

Please continue to heal and hve a nice remainder of the Labor Day weekend,
Blessings,
Carolynn xo

Rebecca said...

I REALLY like your bracelets! I may try making one with those "spare" earrings I find myself with...

Thankful you are recovering from the sting. (I had multiple stings on TOP of poison ivy last year. No fun!)

Anonymous said...

I also grew up during the age of charm bracelets, thanks for the memory. I love the ones you've made! Sorry about the bee sting but so thankful it wasn't the whole swarm, and glad you're doing better now. Hugs ~ Mary

Unknown said...

These bracelets are GREAT! How do I get on your Christmas list? Just kidding, really. They are very nice. I like the one with the globe charm. Like you, I have a difficult time sitting still. I hope you have a great week!

Melody said...

Oh, how scary. Glad to hear you are doing better. My husband is allergic too and we have had a few scares over the years too. Love the bracelets. I may have to try making one with all the junk jewelry I have too. Take care and God bless.

Florida Farm Girl said...

So sorry to hear about the wasp sting. I hate those things and I'm not even alergic! I remember those charm bracelets. I think I actually still have a bracelet but I dumped most of the charms that were on it, cause they came from the Ex. (hehehe)

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Ouch! Not fun at all. But a little project always makes recovery time go speeding by! Very cute idea. I might have to try it....

Glad to hear you are much better now. You were indeed blessed!

Amy Kinser said...

So glad you are okay. Wonderful way to spend your down time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...