Friday, June 22, 2012

Raggedy? Yes!--A Few Old Rag Dolls

Do you have an old raggedy doll at your house? Then you have an  "old friend."

"Lucy" ca 1932

I found a book that I love--Stitches In Time. . .A Primer For Recreating Early Rag Dolls. I can't say enough good things about it, so I thought I'd share a few words from the book with you. . .

"When rural mothers could not afford store bought dolls for their youngins, they fashioned them lovingly with scraps at hand while 'making do'." *


"I fondly remember the antiquing adventure when I "discovered" my first old doll. He was a happy boy, old black cloth with hand embroidered facial features and a smile that caught my eye. With his applied ears, floppy little body so huggable and farmy attire, I knew instantly that he was coming home with me. . ." *

Snapshot taken at Country Bumpkins Flea Market, Popular Bluff, Mo

Primitive rag dolls have a charm of their own. Every one I see I want to pick up and hold tight. The older and grubbier she is, the more I like her. The dress might be torn and tattered and her face might be dirty, but I know immediately when one is coming home with me. It's almost like people--some you're just drawn to. . .

Unusual heart shaped face ca 1940s?

They feel like old friends. . .

Black doll is very old. . .stuffed with straw


A Cambino Doll on right from New Orleans ca 1980. . .Black Doll left age unknown. . .


Topsy-Turvy Sock Doll ca 1940

"Handmade dolls were sewn from the humblest of materials, not fancy in nature like their store bought cousins." *


"They were charming, endearing and sometimes naive.
Those are the dolls that speak to us.. .

They tell of a story we can only imagine. . ." *

The dolls in this post are just a few 20th century rag dolls
who befriended me.
They do not appear in Shannon's book.

by Shannon McConnachie

6 comments:

Tanya Breese said...

oh i love those sweet dolls!

Simply Shelley said...

I love this post! Rag dolls tug at my heartstrings. I hope to find that book someday.....thanks so much for sharing...they truly are "Old Friends". I have a few too :)
Blessings

JGO said...

Oh yes! I have two rag dolls and a rag bunny (the bunny is from the 80s.) I love them. I also wanted to let you know I nominated you for a blog award.

Love,
Jacqueline

The homesteadingcottage said...

My Grandmother had rag dolls and gave me the only one that made it through the years...they were so lovely (:

I just found your blog and became a follower (: Can't wait to come back for more posts! Hope you have a lovely weekend!!

Michele
xoxo

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh, don't they make you just want to pick them up and give them a big ole hug? Your collection is wonderful. The heart shaped head doll is so unique. Love them all and the book was a great find also. Thanks so much for sharing with Share Your Cup.
Hugs,
Jann

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Great collection of rag dolls!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...