Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Farm Girls, Farm Wives, and Farm Overalls


Overalls have been around since the 1700s. They have clothed American men at work and at play. But, until the early 20th century, it wasn't as acceptable for women to "dress like men."

That all changed with the Women's Movement. The tabu of women wearing pants was lifted, and the door was opened for overalls to become an addition in women's closets, especially for work in the factories and farm fields.



Mail-order versions of "overalls for women" were often more feminine than the mens.  But, for those women not interested in making a fashion statement, I'm sure they put on their husband's pair and met him out in the field.


 By the 1920s-30s, overalls were standard wear for the entire farm family.




Fast forward to the 21st century and you'll still find women--and girls--in overalls. . .

Carhartt Overalls

Personally, I like dressing in overalls. . .
As long as I don't look like another guy. . .


Overalls can be rather bland without some fashion additions. I like having fun with them.  A polka-dot blouse--a bee on the shoulder--isn't it cute?--a vintage doily pinned with a blue enameled flower----a silk scarf for a belt--multicolored bracelets--

Aunt Mamie's garden hat with a rose clip-on addition--and--a vintage hanky sticking out of the pocket--


all for FUN. . .


I think it separates me from the men, don't you?
And, at the same time, I'm carrying on a tradition that started over 100 years ago. . . 

Do you have any overall stories?
How do you wear them?
Share it with us and post a comment. . .
We'd all like to hear from you. . .

18 comments:

seannaapproved said...

I wish I could wear the denim overals in the post. I had some 30s repro overals made for me last year, so feminine! I am now wanting a pair of rosie the rivetor overalls!!

Gina said...

I haven't worn overalls in ages, but I have to say, they are awfully cute when dressed up the way you have them! Love the polka dotted blouse!

allisamazing said...

Cute overalls!

Buttons Thoughts said...

I love this history lesson. I love my overalls but must say I have to get a hankie to hang out of the back pocket. You are right this will separate me from the boys. Love your style. B

Evelyn S. said...

I love overalls.... used to have three pair a few years ago, but quit wearing them. It was shortly after I retired from teaching--and wearing professional clothes all the time. Love the feminine touches!

Tina´s PicStory said...

lovely pics! :)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Overalls never looked so good! : ) I love your polka dot blouse and the hankies you've added. You've made something kind of plain but functional look pretty, too!

Carletta said...

I love it!
My dear Grandma never wore pants in her life. I seem to remember one very cold snowy winter day she wore a pair of my Pap's pants under her dress to church. Only time she ever had on pants.
You are stylin' those overalls!

Thanks for your lovely comment on my post today. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comments. So nice!! I love your overalls. Unfortunately, I don't think I would look good in them, but my hubby loves to wear them. Yours are so cute! OH, thanks for becoming a follower!!

La Vie Quotidienne said...

I wear overalls to garden in and unfortuately I don't look nearly as chic as you do in yours. But they are so practical, with lots of spaces to put things and I don't know what I would do without them.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Now if I looked as cute as you in overalls I'd wear them every day! I think the last time I wore them Is about 5 years ago when I was a scarecrow for Halloween. I would love to live on a farm. Then I would wear overalls and fancy them up a bit like you. Love all the cute items, especially the hankie in the back pocket.
Hugs,
Jann
p.s. Thanks so much for linking up your dad's farm truck post.

EllenaElizabeth said...

I love your overalls and the addition of the doiley embellishment. I was watching a TV doco last night about women of influence in Australia and they were talking about one lady who emigrated to Australia and was in the habit of wearing pantaloons, this was in the mid 1800's. She was seen to be a radical of course. The funny thing was she still had a below knee dress over the pantaloons and a squillion petticoats underneath... I have my own overall story. I followed a Scottish band called the Bay City Rollers in the 1970's. They were huge in the UK and Australia, don't know if they made it in the USA. Anyhow they wore below knee pants, called Roller Strollers. The hem was trimmed with tartan. They also wore overalls in the same vein. Well I made myself a pair of Roller Stroller overalls in 1975. I loved them, shame I don't have any photos.

Florida Farm Girl said...

I've had only one set of overall shorts and can't say I was happy with them. 'Course, Daddy wore them every day and a couple of my brothers wear them now. I think they just didn't fit me right. I might change my opinion if I could find good fitting ones, and something that looked a little more feminine. You're looking sharp in yours, by the way.

EG CameraGirl said...

Thank goodness for denim overalls and jeans!

RaNae @EweCreekCottage said...

U sure do make overalls look fresh and cute!!

Anonymous said...

I use to wear overalls in my teens. Seeing the way you wear them, well. I will need to buy a pair. Very lovely look.

blessings, jill

Sonshine In My Soul said...

I love my overalls too:)Yours are embellished so well that working in them would be a pleasure. I grew up in rural Iowa and have fond memories of "overalls." Blessings, Jenny

Unknown said...

jackie says i love them ,theyre my uniform

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...