Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Barn Quilts on the Porch

Grandmother's Flower Basket

Maybe I should entitle this post, "Who says Barn Quilt go on barns?"

As I've mentioned before, we have had terrible weather this spring--hail, tornadoes, wind, rain, dust storms. Our barn quilts were taking a beating. I've repaired and repainted two, but I hated to put them back on the barn until the weather stabilized. And, who knows when that will be?

We have two big blank outside walls on our house. I've tried various decor on them, but nothing has ever satisfied me. As I looked at them this week, with the thought in mind of what to do this year, it finally dawned on me that the barn quilts would be perfect! Why hadn't I thought of that before?

Of course, I had to  add a few props. . .

and flowers. . .

Yes, they are silk flowers. . .the storms got my potted plants. . .but I think this is proof silk flowers can be beautiful, too. . .

Widner-Magers Farm Historic District Logo

Our cotton logo quilt is on the opposite side, so I was able to use a different color scheme. I love color. Guess you can tell?




 Now, the barn quilts are protected from the weather. They also add so much to the house.

Funny how things work out. . .
***Just an additional note: My Barn Quilts are paint on plywood and framed to hang on the wall. They measure 4' X 4'.  Barn Quilts on barns are usually 8' X 8' or larger. I hope to have a tutorial on how to make them soon. They're great fun!

13 comments:

Jeannie said...

Love the barn quilts on your porch walls! And the props--luv it all!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

What an unusual quilt - it's beautiful!

EG CameraGirl said...

So photogenic!!

Doll in the Looking Glass said...

The barn quilts on your porch add so much character. Of course, you have wonderful props to complete the vignette.

Michigan has a Quilt Barn Trail in Traverse City. You might be interested in reading my post from last November with photos of them.

Thanks for leaving the sweet comment. I firmly believe that a plant must be in the right environment to thrive. I don't think I have a green thumb either!

Debra

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Ok tell me about the barn quilts. They are cotton? How are they made? Love them!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

How darn cute is this? Love your barn quilts. They look right at home on your porch and the entire vignettes are wonderful! I hear ya girl, I like color!
Hugs,
Jann

Florida Farm Girl said...

What perfect places for those barn quilts!! I think you've started a new trend.

Jamie @ Domestically Vintage said...

Your barn quilts are just beautiful! I love them on the side of your house. Your porch display is just beautiful. I couldn't tell the flowers were silk at all. The rockers on your beautiful wrap around porch look so inviting. I love the down home feel of your blog! I'm visiting from the Cowgirl up link party and now I'm your newest follower. ~ Jamie

Keeping It Cozy said...

Love your barn quilts on your porch! These are something that always brings a smile to my face as I'm driving along the road...

Unknown said...

Beautiful!! Can't wait to learn how to do this. I'm a new follower.

Liz @ Sit With Me In My Garden said...

I love a good story! Yours turned out with a happy ending! I love it when I'm taken on a path differently than I expected and it turns out with such a positive result! Your vignettes look great! Too bad your weather has been so assaulting, but I guess something good came out of it!

allisamazing said...

Your barn quilts are fabulous and I love the vignettes you made to go with them.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing this at Share Your Cup. I enjoyed a second look.
Hugs,
Jann

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...