Tuesday, February 21, 2017

What a Journey Through FARMHOUSE STYLE We've Had!



I read recently that FARMHOUSE STYLE is a way of life that reflects a love for the land. . .I like that. . .It's an attitude. . .a state of mind. . .and as individual as the decorator. . .
I dearly loved the simpler, dramatic look of the living room a few posts back: STRIKING HEART IN HAND FOLK ART IN THE LIVING ROOM . . .One day this past week I began to think that I would like to go this direction in the future. . .but. . .What made it work? What style would it be called? Was there a style that embraced this look already? In order to answer those questions, I found myself reviewing my journey through several  FARMHOUSE STYLES these last five years. . .It's always good to see where you've been so that you know where you're going. . .or not going again!
I learned that FARMHOUSE actually 'marries' well with many other styles such as COTTAGE, ROMANTIC, RUSTIC, MODERN, INDUSTRIAL,  TRADITIONAL and PRIMITIVE. . .Unintentionally, I have decorated with just about every one of these styles. . .It WAS  a surprise to me. . .I never started out to decorate with cottage. . .or shabby. . .or traditional. . .Where most people do start with a decorating style in mind. . .I don't. . .just go with my likes and intuition. . .although they did fall somewhat into the various decor styles that are popular today . .
SHABBY CHIC: COTTAGE STYLE: ROMANTIC: Characterized by Soft Colors: Chipped Painted furniture and Re-purposed items: Dreamy: Feminine: Sparkly Chandeliers and Mirrors: Floral touches
I admit I was influenced at first with the SHABBY CHIC, ROMANTIC COTTAGE STYLE. . .Our 'move in' LIVING ROOM looked almost like an ENGLISH COTTAGE STYLE . . .Did I really choose so many different flower patterns?
Remember those days?

The BEDROOM and BATH were toned down a bit. . .a softer look. . .styled with COTTAGE, SHABBY, ROMANTIC.



 




 


 



Truthfully, COTTAGE CHIC is a look that I had incorporated for at least ten years. . .I was a little bored with it. . .and the trend seemed to be heading toward less fuss. . .Simpler. . .I was ready to try my hand at it. . after we got settled in. . . after a time. . .I began to add FARMHOUSE TOUCHES to those parts of COTTAGE that I liked . . .
FARMHOUSE CHIC: CHARACTERIZED BY A LITTLE FARMHOUSE WITH A ROMANTIC FLAIR: Mostly Neutrals and a lot of White: Floral in pops of color: Old feed sacks and other farm found items: Homey: Relaxed: Welcoming and NOT fussy. . .Make-do

 



















About a year of FARMHOUSE CHIC went by when I began to simplify a bit more. . .I looked to Shaker and Primitive and chose the elements I liked. . .
PRIMITIVE FARMHOUSE: Simple: Unsophisticated: Primitive farm items: often Crude; Unrefined: Patched: Life's basics: Feels of an earlier age: Lots of Patina in woods and antiques
That winter, I turned our home into a semi-PRIMITIVE FARMHOUSE. . .

KEEPER: Some Prim Element but with a Twist







I like PRIM for the Winter months. . .always have. . .but when the warm days and sun return, I'm ready for a brighter feel inside, too . . .The FARMHOUSE does light up in the Summer months, as the sun streams in through the windows. . .
FARMHOUSE STYLE:  Simple: Unpretentious: Welcoming: Old paint: Chipped and Aged: Weathered barn wood: Recycled: Up-cycled: Soft colors with lots of White, White, White: Nostalgic farm items

KEEPERS: White Dishes and Egg Sign. . .




KEEPER: the Denim. . .

I think DENIM mixed with FARMHOUSE are my favorites. . .I'll keep some DENIM in my new concept for The Country Farm Home. . .Denim goes with anything. . .as you will see. . .





KEEPER: Touches of Worn, Chippy



Now I was getting closer to our LIFESTYLE. . .With a few tweaks, magic seemed to happen. . .
RUSTIC FARMHOUSE STYLE: Roughen, Weathered Pieces: Rusty Wire and Tin: Honest: Organic: Warm, Earthy Colors; Burlap: Natural Fabrics: Galvanized Farm Items: Barn Inspired Elements: Off-beat Lighting: Folk Art

KEEPER: Touches of Wire and Metal




Keeper: Simplicity


KEEPER: Boo (the cat)


KEEPER: Cabinet in White and Black










KEEPER: Black and White and Checks

 Do you see the pattern here?. . . .FARMHOUSE DECOR is a base. . .a starting point. . .on which to build a decor--and a home-- that is all your own. . .It is so versatile and inclusive. . .Now that I know that capturing the spirit of FARMHOUSE STYLE is personal and individual, I'm ready for a new journey. . .I think. . .FARMHOUSE is still my base to build on. . .but I will try a little something different. . .Besides, it's time for paint and polish and updates. . .


I thought with this review I might begin with a specific FARMHOUSE STYLE as I move on to new ideas. . .but I have found old ways don't change easily. . .To be boxed in with any one style doesn't sound interesting enough to me. . .So maybe in the long run, I'm better off keeping the description PLAIN AND SIMPLE FARMHOUSE STYLE. . .and letting you guess what that is. . .(grin)




3 comments:

Cindy Lou said...

Love your post! Anything farmhouse style is wonderful! Love it all !

Pamela Gordon said...

What an inspiring post! I love how your style has evolved through the years and the simple farmhouse look is what drew me to your blog in the first place. We have a 70's split entry in the country and I love farmhouse style. I've gone from country to traditional to cottage/farmhouse over the years but because I have a lot of old vintage things handed down to me I try to use them and incorporate them in my decor. That way I can kind of roll with the style that is current. :-) It's fun to move things around and change it up now and then isn't it? Thanks for sharing your journey. I still love your style. Blessings, Pam

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Love seeing the changes Dru! I love the simplicity of farmhouse style. I have gone through many changes throughout the years, but I have such a mixture of styles I just say I'm eclectic. :)
hugs,
Jann

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...