Monday, February 13, 2017

FARMHOUSE RECIPE: Rich and Decadent Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake with Mock Cherry Topping




If February is the MONTH OF HEARTS AND FLOWERS, it is also the month of  CHOCOLATE. . .I try every VALENTINES DAY to bake something SPECIAL. . .I kid you not, this CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE is so moist, so chocolatey, so mouth-watering that it is almost sinful. . .Add a topping of "CHERRIES". . .and what can I say but 'YUM'?
Maybe 'YUM! YUM!' ?????


 

I found the recipe for MAYONNAISE CAKE in a vintage Christmas card box filled to the top with recipes cut out from newspapers and scrapes of paper hurriedly written. . .A recently purchase for $1. . .Really?. . .Mayonnise? . .Additionally, it didn't call for eggs either. . .Well, that one made me a little nervous, so I did add a couple of eggs to it. . .I figured it couldn't hurt. . .

I needed something to top it, though. . .Icing? . .Maybe just whipped cream? . . .There was a PRESIDENT'S DAY commercial on the TV at the time. . .Hmmmmm. . .George Washington. . .CHERRY Tree. . .Cherries in Winter?. . .Not here. . .Maybe a  MOCK CHERRY Pie Filling recipe made into a topping. . since I have a freezer full of CRANBERRIES from Christmas?




And that's what I did. . .I gathered all the ingredients, not knowing if it would be a SUCCESS or a failure. . .Well. . .these recipes are KEEPERS. . .and so very SIMPLE. . .I had to share. . .It's the next best thing. . .since I can't mail you a PIECE OF THE CAKE. . .The postal service frowns on that. . .




CHOCOLATE MAYONNAISE CAKE

There were no instructions for putting together the cake, so this is how I did it:

Beat together 1 CUP MAYONNAISE, 1 CUP OF WATER, 1 1/2 CUPS OF SUGAR,  TWO EGGS, and 1/2 TSP VANILLA EXTRACT
 Add 2 CUPS FLOUR, 1/2 CUP COCOA, 2 TSP BAKING POWDER, 1 TSP BAKING SODA 
and MIX WELL (with a mixer)
Bake at 375 degrees until done. . .about an hour. . .

Once the cake was cooled, I added TOASTED COCONUT 
and drizzled a mixture of POWDERED SUGAR and WATER over top. 

MOCK CHERRY TOPPING

In a sauce pan, 4 CUPS OF CRANBERRIES (1 lb washed) and 1/2 CUP WATER.
Reduce before it boils and simmer 3 minutes or until the CRANBERRIES begin to pop open.
Stir in 2 CUPS SUGAR and 1 TSP CINNAMON. Simmer until the sauce begins to thicken a little.
In a cup blend 1/4 CUP CORNSTARCH and 1/2 CUP OF WATER. Gradually stir into the Cranberry mixture and boil until it has thickened. Remove from heat. As the topping cools, it will thicken more. If it is too thick, add a little water until it is the consistency desired. 

Tip: The PIE FILLING is made by this recipe but reduce the water used to mix the cornstarch from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup.


YUMMMMM!!!!!

The only thing left to do is. . .
ENJOY a piece. . .and. . .
SHARE WITH A LOVED ONE. . .

It's the makings for an absolutely WONDERFUL VALENTINES DAY. . .





1 comment:

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Yum is right! I have heard of cakes made with mayo before. I am sure all the eggs and oil in the mayo help make it moist. Clever idea to use cranberries instead of cherries.
Happy Valentine's Day Dru!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...