Wednesday, May 8, 2013

After the Rain & Rose Petal Jam


 I was beginning to think it was gonna rain forty days and forty nights!
Yet, I knew something good would come of it. . . .Roses!


The sun did come out yesterday morning. . . .Aunt Mamie's roses were sparkling in the sunshine. . . .What a surprise!. . . .Made my heart go pitter-patter. . . .I grabbed my camera before the rain droplets disappeared. . . .

The bushes are absolutely covered with rose buds, ready to open for Mother's Day.
They never fail to be in full bloom for this special time of year.


Do you remember when everyone wore roses on Mother's Day?
Red roses if your Mom was still living. . . .
White roses if she was with the Angels.

My Grandmothers, Aunts, and Mom made our corsages
with roses picked from their own gardens. . . .
We'd wear them to church where the very air smelled of flowers. . . .

That's why Aunt Mamie's roses are so special to me. . . .We brought her five bushes to the farm a few years ago. . . .I'm almost certain a couple of them were my Grandmothers. . . .They're a sweet reminder of those precious ladies. . . .

Is it any wonder that I LOVE ROSES!

Speaking of which. . . .
What an unusual jam recipe I found. . . .
but I love trying new things, don't you?


Til Next Time!

. . .from my farmhouse to yours. . .

21 comments:

Vintage Gal said...

Your roses are just beautiful. Rose Petal Jam. Well, I think that is definitely worth trying.
Have a great day

Dawn said...

Well you learn something new every day. I have never heard of rose petal jam. Very interesting. We had a month of the rains also, so glad we now have sunshine. With the rain brought standing water, which means we are having a horrible mosquito season now:( Your rose photos are beautiful:)

Blondie's Journal said...

What pretty roses...I know your garden must smell heavenly! Things are just starting to bug here after a lot of rain (and more on the way!). The recipe sounds wonderful!

Wishing you more beautiful days!

XO,
Jane

Down Blueberry Lane said...

Your roses are absolutely beautiful!! I can almost smell them from here :)

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Lovely roses! Very interesting recipe. Please share your adventure if you make it! They use to make jam out of everything didn't they?!

cynthia lee designs said...

Oh...what pretty roses!! We got some rain today and a thunderstorm too.
hugs,
Cindy

Unknown said...

Beautiful roses.
TFS

Hugs Tam

Rosemary and Thyme said...

Your roses are just beautiul. I have never heard to Rose Jam but why not. I would love to give this recipe a try..


Grandma Barb's This and That said...

The roses are really beautiful!

Lynn said...

Rose petal jam -- sounds really interesting! I don't think I've ever heard of this before. What a great use for any extra rose petals.

Old Time Cindy said...

You have roses!?! Not quite rose weather here yet. Kind of fascinating...those old recipes.
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Pam said...

What lovely roses you have! I love to make jam and this recipe sounds intriguing. Thank you for sharing.
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Betty@SouthernGrace said...

Rose petal jam...I've never heard of such. I do remember the red or white roses for Mother's Day. My mother would always feel sad for the ladies with the white roses. I still think of that on Mother's Day.

Tea in the Library said...

Love, love love the yellow roses!I will let you know how I fare with the rose petal jam. Too interesting not to try. Found you at Share Your Cup Thursday. Angels to you!

20 North Ora said...

I certainly remember wearing the rose pinned to our dress on Mother's Day. Those were the good ole days.

Judy

country life said...

I love your photos, I can almost smell the roses! I have never tried this jam before thanks for the recipe, its worth a try :)

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I do remember the corsages for mother's day. We didn't have roses, it was always carnations. I love that memory!

SouthernHeart said...

Absolutely beautiful roses!!! I can only imagine the wonderful fragrance. I do remember wearing a rose corsage on Mother's Day...

Blessings,
Dianne
www.sweetjourneyhome.com

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Dru, your roses are gorgeous! My bushes are still very small. A couple of them look like they may not make it. The harsh winter was not the best for ny new rose garden. I can't wait unitl they are big and beautiful like yours. I have heard of Rose jam, but have never tried it. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

The Charm of Home said...

Sounds good.
Thank you for joining joining Home Sweet.
Sherry

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Dru, Your roses are so pretty and the recipe sounds so good! I have to try it! Thanks for sharing.


Jody

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...