Monday, February 11, 2013

Cottage Glass Cabinet--What a Difference a Little Paint Makes


Yesterday was a rainy, stormy, gloomy day. . . .I began looking for something to brighten the dreariness. . . .which led me to this cottage glass cabinet. . . .

It's been a dark addition to the living room for four or five years. . . .I intended to paint it, but you know how that goes. . . .


Since we're working on the living room redo--as time permits--I decided I should brighten that corner of the room. . . .A little white paint did the trick. . . .


It's actually a lovely piece. . . .a handmade Arts & Crafts cottage style display, ca. 1920. . . .
The panes are blown glass. . . .the interior is painted beadboard. . . .I left the original soft green inside--a beautiful backdrop for my collections.


I love it's simplicity.


Before, the cabinet looked big, bulky and in the way. . . .Now, it works with it's surroundings perfectly.



Originally a bookcase, the shelves hold Granny's demitasse cup collection, Mom's crystal glassware, my collection of pedestal cake plates, and numerous family heritage pieces. . . .

It's so charming. . . . came from western Tennessee--out of a 1920s bungalow. . . .A friend of ours spotted it and knew it was just what we needed for the farmhouse. . . .That's the same friend who found the bathroom tub for us--being used as a flower bed. . . .







Making my day even brighter, John arrived home yesterday afternoon with a surprise--this precious framed print. . . .Isn't he the romantic? He says it's a younger version of us. . . .Such a sweetie.
I immediately displayed it on top of the newly painted cottage cabinet, along with the ironstone and a paint splattered basket. . . .


With a ladder and a vintage quilt, the cozy little corner is complete. . . .



I have paint left--beginning to eye a few other pieces. . . .There's a vintage mirror standing in another corner that I bought junkin' this weekend. . . .Hmmmm. . . .
Where's that brush. . . .



. . .from my farmhouse to yours. . .



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...