Sunday, January 13, 2013

I'm Weaving with a New Rag Rug Loom

Winter is the best time of year to get out those fabric scraps and work on a rag rug. . . .I decided this winter I wanted to try a smaller loom--one I could curl up with on the couch. . . .It came about faster than I anticipated. . . . .I've been down with a cold/flu these past few days--one that started Christmas Day. Just couldn't seem to shake it. . . .I finally gave up and headed for the bed. . . .


My sweet John knows how I hate to be still, so to keep me resting and off my feet, he crafted a new rag rug loom--one that's more manageable for me in bed--or relaxing on the couch. . . .Not only is it smaller than the first, this loom can be adjusted to two different sizes:   16" x 26"--suitable for a small rug or a large table mat--and  16" x 13"--suitable for place mats.

It's like getting two looms in one!


I had baskets of old denim shirts handy, so I decided that's what I'd use for the new rug. . . .Denim and farmhouses go together well. . . .



It only took one large men's denim shirt to complete the warf. . . . The plan is to weave the entire rug with denim shirt strips--in various colors of blue.

I've found that if I weave from the side, I can hold it fairly comfortably in my lap. . . .as long as I can keep Boo otherwise occupied. . . . .He thinks my lap is off limits to anything but him. . . .



I've enjoyed this new loom so much that John has crafted several more and will be selling them at Our Old Country Store. . . . If you've wanted to try your hand at weaving, this smaller version might be just what you need.  It won't take you long to complete a small rug. . . .

To order, visit: Two-in-One Rag Rug Loom

I plan to be out of bed and on my feet after the weekend. . . .Hope this cold/flu gets the message. . . .I have a bathroom to decorate and a living room to redo! No time to be sick in bed. . . . .


. . . .from my farmhouse to yours. . . .



14 comments:

Anne said...

How fun to weave your own rug! Hope you are feeling better soon! This flu bug is getting allot of people down!
xx
Anne

Dawn said...

That is something I have never done, and think I might like to try. I hope you show yours when it is done, I am very interested. What a great hubby you have:) Hope you get well soon, it has went around our home to and so far I have been spared. Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get it.

Pamela Gordon said...

I hope you are soon over this cold bug. That's a long time to have it. I too, have had a cold all week but I don't like to lay in bed unless I'm so weak that I can't get up. I carry on as if I'm normal. HA! I have never woven anything but this loom is really neat and I think the denim rug is going to be really nice. Take care. Pamela

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I love rag rugs but I know I don't have time to make one. I can't wait to see how yours looks when it's done.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Your husband is so clever to make a smaller loom for you to use in bed! I hope you are feeling better and up and around soon.

Old Time Cindy said...

You won't believe this, but hubby just brought me a bunch of his old shirts for me to make something with (while reading your post). Please show us your finished product. This sounds interesting.
Farmhouse hugs & get well wishes,
Cindy

Susie said...

Sorry you are not feeling well. Hope you are getting better today. My mom once made a braided rug with old clothes scraps. I wish I had that rug.I can't remember what happened to it. Probably we crazy kids wore it out(11 of us). Show us the rug when it's done , please. xoxo,Susie

cynthia lee designs said...

Hope you feel better soon.
Can't wait to see your rug when it is done.
hugs,
Cindy

Pendra said...

Knock on wood we haven't gotten the bug...it's all around us, but so far, so good! I sure hope you get to feeling better and up and about soon, you don't seem the type that sits still to long, so this must really be wicked! We had a neighbor who used to make rag rugs, her loom filled her basement, it was huge. This looks much more doable to someone like me. Sure hope you show it when you're done! Your Mr. Farmer is such a great guy to make that for you during your down time...what a sweetheart! Feel better hon!
Hugs,
Pendra

Barbara Jean said...

very cool!!
feel better soon

blessings
barb

Maureen Wyatt said...

That's one sweet husband you have! Good luck with the cold. I'm stuck with ice packs on a twisted knee and I have a living room to paint!

Pam said...

So sorry to hear you are not feeling well! I was sick right before Christmas. I hope you feel better soon! I love rag rugs and think your denim one sounds great! I had a denim sofa once and it was so comfortable and versatile. I can't wait to see your finished rug!
Again, feel better soon and drink plenty of hot tea with lemon and believe it or not drink some hot Tang, it tastes really good and is full of vitamin C.

Hugs, Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

J9sHappiness said...

Gosh what a talented husband you have!! And how kind and thoughtful too. Weaving is something I've never done but my late father wove tartan fabric in northern England in his youth so I find it fascinating. Take care, J9x

Sydnee Hill said...

Do you know where can I find a pattern to make the loom?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...