Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Farmer's Daughter


I had a surprise email from Great Britain last week--

From: Ian Craine

Dear Farmer's Daughter

I just chanced on your site. I'm a British writer and researcher and I love that old-time American farming and western feel. The age of the Sears Roebuck catalogue, Midwest dustbowls and early movies.
I thought I'd send you an old poster for one of them-since it's called The Farmer's Daughter. There have in fact been several of that title, that one was a silent feature from 1928 which is unfortunately lost but the promo poster is rather charming I think with the daughter exercising her graffiti skills on her father's fencing. The egg basket lends a further homespun touch to the proceedings.

Best regards   Ian



I was so honored that Ian took the time to email and send the photograph. I've never seen it before--but I DO love it! In fact, I was thinking. . . .things haven't changed a great deal. That was in 1928. . . .Here I am in 2012:


Nope--Things don't change much on the Farm. . . .

Ian admits he's somewhat smitten with anything American--which is funny because I"m smitten with anything British. . . .We've exchanged a couple of very interesting emails about our farm. . . .If you'd like to share something "old-time American" with him, send him an email: iancraine@supanet.com.  He says he'd love to hear from you!

til next time. . . .
I AM. . . . .
The FARMER'S DAUGHTER--(too)

7 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

Oh, Dru...that is so nice of him to send that to you...one of those "random acts of kindness" you hear about. I thought it was you at first!LOL! I think you should do a picture exactly like the original, although the one you did is darn cute! I'm pretty camera shy so I should not be talking!
I will email him too as I am besotted with anything British especially my U.K. friends who decorate so gorgeously and do such beautiful handwork and live outside the metro areas in their gorgeous countryside. They are also so polite which is how I was raised but it seems nowadays that manners have stopped being taught in some areas.
I haven't forgotten about the seeds either...really! I need to get out there today too because severe weather is being predicted and I don't want them to get blown away! LOL! TTYL!
I hope you all got your cotton in before it rained! Happy Harvest time!

Cottage Dreaming and Flea Market Wishing said...

oh how neat that they emailed you...technology is amazing! loving your blog today :)

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Isn't it amazing that someone on the other side of the Atlantic found your blog? Blogging is fun!

Old Time Cindy said...

You are so right about how things don't really change on the farm. I think that's why we are so drawn to it. We want a sweet and simple life!
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Tanya Breese said...

oh that is really cool! love the picture he sent you and yes, it's very similar to the update you version! how neat!!

Julie Marie said...

Isn't it AMAZING the connections we make through our blogs... love both of those photos... you are such an adorable Farmers Daughter... when I was a little girl, there was a little old restaurant my grandparents would take me to in Salt Lake City called "The Farmers Daughter"... that was many, many years ago, but I can still smell their Heavenly simple country food and still hear my grandpa, who passed away many years back, softly whispering to me "order whatever you like honey"... I long for the good old days... but carry them with always, close by in my heart... thanks for sharing this heartwarming post... xoxo Julie Marie

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

How fun is this Dru? Reminds me of an experience I had with a Viet Nam man. He only comments once in a great while. Like 1 time since I moved into this home. But it brings me such joy. We swapped gardening pics through an e-mail and I did a post once about his Viet Nam gardens called, "Good Morning Vietman". I think I will have to give your new friend a visit when I get home from Hawaii. Love your farm girl hat and style!
Hugs,
Jann

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...