Thursday, October 18, 2012

It's A Natural


 . . . . .It's Cotton Pickin' Time here at the Farm. . . . .
which means it's Cotton Pickin' Time for the Farmhouse.

Every year I think I might run out of Cotton stalks for decorating, and I head for the fields to grab more. I've never had that problem, but a person never knows. . . .
 
I threw a few stalks in a basket. . . .added some mini bales, a folk  Daisy cow, cotton carder, tin candle holder and a  burlap runner to the table. . . .It's not Fall around here without Cotton everywhere. . . .








This year, I'm thinking about Cotton even more than usual because I have based the palette
for my Plain & Simple Farmhouse Style on the colors of Cotton--
white, neutrals, and black--


with touches of "denim" blues here and there. I really love the way the colors are blending in the kitchen--they're comforting. . . .calming. . . .relaxing. . . . .
Whites and neutrals also lend a wonderful background for style and color changes. . . .


I was pleasantly surprised when I learned this week that Cotton has been gaining popularity 
in the floral and crafting industry throughout the country. . . .
I've been decorating with cotton all my life--but then, I would, since it's right in my back yard. . . .
I'm so glad to hear that others are seeing decorating possibilities in it, too. . . . 

A quick check at Etsy revealed several stores that carry Cotton based items. . . .One of my favorites was Tall Cotton-n-Peas.  . . She has some amazing bridal bouquets. . . but what I loved most were the wreaths. . . .







Beautiful, aren't they? 

The whites and neutrals of Cotton are so versatile. . . .When you think about it, the texture
and interest it adds would compliment many decorating styles. . . . Shabby Chic. . . .or the Romantic Farmhouse Style. . . .or Country Decor. . . .or Primitive Style. . . . .


So, What do you think?
Could Cotton be a Natural in your home?

You don't have to go out in a field and pick it. . . .
 Here are a few stores on the Net that specialize in Cotton florals, decor and supplies. . . .
This isn't a paid ad. . . .I found them, liked what I saw, and am now sharing with you. . . .
Tall Cotton-N-Peas
Floral Cotton
Cotton Man
Country Rustic Weddings

 

from my cotton pickin' farmhouse to yours. . . .
The Farmer's Daughter

*******************************************

U. S. Cotton Facts. . .
A bale of cotton weighs about 500 lbs.

U. S. textile mills will spin almost 3 million bales of cotton this year.
That's enough cotton to make more than 600 million pairs of men's jeans
 and more than 2 billion men's dress shirts.

One bale of cotton can make: 215 Pairs of Jeans; 249 Bed Sheets; 409 Men's Sport Shirts; 690 Terry Bath Towels; 765 Men's Dress Shirts; 1,217 Men's T-Shirts; 1,256 Pillowcases; 2,104 Pairs of Boxer Shorts; 2,419 Pairs of Men's Briefs; 3,085 Diapers; 4321 Mid-Calf Socks; 6,436 Pairs of Women's Knit Briefs; 21,960 Women's Handkerchiefs; 313,600 $100 Bills.

Sources of information; USDA ERS, FAO, EPA, USDA Census of Ag 

**********************************************

I'm sharing this post with: * Show & Tell Friday * Simple & Sweet Fridays * Feathered Nest Friday * Home Sweet Home * Vintage Inspiration  *Tweak It Tuesday *
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...