Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Vintage and Charming--China Demitasse Cups


It's been 18 years since I've seen these cups. . . .
 I'd forgotten how beautiful they are. . . .
They're just a few of my Granny Duncans vast collection. I didn't inherit the entire lot, but I  did receive ten or so.
 I've had them boxed up--in a safe place--for all these years. . . .


Lately, I've been eager to reunite with many of the "pretties" I stored years ago. Instead of "out with the old," I'm saying "in with the old and out with the new. . ." 


So far, I've only found these few. . . . There's another box or two somewhere. . . .


They're marked "Occupied Japan", so they date back to  at least 1947 or so. . . .
I always loved looking at all the sets in Granny's china hutch. . . .
Every now and then, she'd let me pick my favorite of the day, and we'd have tea and cookies together in the afternoon. . . .
What a treat it was. . . .


Demi is French for half and tasse is French for cup, thus Demitasse. . . .
I did a little research and found that the French used them for coffee. . . .the English for tea. . . .and the Italians for espresso. . . .
They've been around for at least two centuries. . . .
and are the perfect size for kids tea parties. . . . or for snacks. . . .
or for serving a rich dessert. . . .

They are so charming and the pieces are beautifully painted. . . .
I just can't box these beauties up again. . . .
If I could only find the rest of them. . . .

I'm sharing this post with: *Vintage Thingie Thursday @ Coloradolady
* Share Your Cup Thursday @ Mrs. Olsons 

9 comments:

Anne said...

What a beautiful collection.So happy you are bringing these out.So lovely to use and display.
((((Hugs))))
Anne

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Contemporary and minimalist are the end of the pretties!

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

Yeah, why keep such beauty in a box. That taller one with the skinnier base is so unique. Thanks for sharing. They are all so pretty. I hope you get some use and enjoyment out of them.
Liz

LV said...

You have some cup sets you should be proud of it. Very nice and lovely.

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Oh my, they are all just gorgeous! Love having heirlooms. I'm a new follower. How did I miss following you before this?

Florida Farm Girl said...

They are so lovely! I bet it makes you feel close to Grandma when you use them.

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

They're all beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Jody

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Dru what a precious collection. I love the tall narrow shaped one. It is very unusual. I hope you find the rest and bring them out into the day light. Have you heard the saying "everything old is new again". Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
Hugs,
Jann

Little Susie Home Maker said...

So lovely. How wonderful that you would have these that belonged to your grandmother. That just makes the extra special.
Blessings,
Susie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...