Thursday, July 19, 2012

Making Amish Peach Jam


John came home Sunday with a bag full of beautiful free peaches.  We usually visit a local orchard where we purchase culls for $5-$7 per box. They're perfect for making jam. I had it on my "to do" list--but I sure like "free" better!

His timing couldn't have been more perfect, because just last week on the Amish Stories blog, there was a recipe for Peach Jam that I wanted to try. It was made with Jello instead of fruit pectin. I always have Jello around, and fruit pectin has gotten so expensive.

I sat aside Tuesday to make John some Peach Jam. . . .


Recipe for Peach Jam  
as featured at Amish Stories

Ingredients:
6 cups peaches, mashed
6 cups white sugar
2 cups crushed pineapple
6 oz orange Jello

My method:
Peel peaches. . . .To keep them from turning brown while you do all that peeling, place them in a pan of water to which 2 T vinegar per gallon of water has been added. . . .Don't worry. . . .You won't taste the vinegar in the jam. . . .Then when all are peeled, remove peaches from the water and mash. . . . .You can use a food processor, a blender, a mixer, or a potato masher. . . . .I didn't mash them to a pulp because John loves chunks of fruit in his jam. . . .

Combine mashed peaches, sugar, and pineapple (I drained mine) in a heavy pot, and. . .
Bring to a boil. . .Cook 20 minutes (or til it begins to thicken and peaches are cooked through). . . . Add the Jello. . . .I continued to cook the mixture for about 2 more minutes to be sure the Jello had dissolved. . . .
This is the fun part. . . .I love the canning process. . . .I heat my jars in the oven at it's lowest setting (about 100 degrees). . . .then I heat the canning lids in hot--but not boiling--water on the stove. . . .I also sterilize the utensils, Pyrex measuring cup, and funnel for a few minutes in the oven. . . .

Take a jar from the oven and place it in a small pan with a folded paper towel on the inside bottom. . . .Mom always did this. . . .It makes sense because sometimes a jar will break. . . . .Instead of cleaning up a cabinet top and floor, all you have to do is empty the pan. . . .Wasn't she smart? 

Fill the jar with jam, using your Pyrex measuring cup and the funnel. . . .Wipe rim of the jar with a damp, clean cloth. . . .Take a lid from the hot water and place on top of the jar. . . .Seal tight with a ring. . . .Sometimes I turn them upside down for just a few minutes to be sure the seal is warm enough. . . .then back upright. . . .

If you want to process them in a water bath, you can.  . . .Process for 10 minutes. . . .I didn't process mine. . . . John eats them so fast, they never stay around a year. . . .The Amish recipe says you can do either one. .

Please note: There is some concern that since Jello is made from animal products, not processing this jam might not be safe. Another alternative: freezer jam!


Don't remove the rings for at least 24 hours. . . .Check seals. . . .and store in a cool dry place. . . .

This recipe was very easy. . . .It took me less than two hours from start to finish. . . .
but, the real test is--will John like it?

Results of John's Taste Test:
Well, there were no words. His eyes just rolled back. . . . and he continued licking the spoon after any jam was long gone. . . .Please do make a note that the jam is not firm. . . .It's more the consistency of freezer jam. . . .but, John says it's delicious as it is and not to touch it. . . .as long as he's happy. . . . so am I. . . .


Sharing this Post with: * Rural Thursday  * Homestead Barn Hop

35 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh yum! That looks and sounds wonderful!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Mmmm...sounds delish!
I need to do this with the figs!

Pat

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Ohhhh, I love peach jam!
I have never heard of using Jello though.....interesting idea.

An Apel a Day said...

I've been wanting to do this with our many June Berries that we picked in May. They are in the freezer right now.

Chenille Cottage said...

My mouth is watering at the sight of your beautiful peach jam! What a wonderful post!
Thank you for sharing so much helpful information!
Blessings and sincere thanks for your kind comment on my blog!
Carolynn

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

Looks like a fun little sweet tasting thing to do. I haven't canned before...I know, I'm so deprived. Fun to watch you do it though!
Liz

The Boston Lady said...

Yummy! And I loved the step by step instructions. My mom used to make peach jam and I absolutely loved it and this made me smile remembering her making hers. Ann

NanE said...

Ooh, this looks really yummy! Thanks for stopping by my blog, Nan

JGO said...

Oh my word!!! I need to learn more about canning. The recipe is delicious! Thanks for sharing.
xox,
Jacqueline

Florida Farm Girl said...

What an interesting recipe!! Next time I have fresh peaches, I think I'll try it.

Megan @ Purple Dancing Dahlias said...

We use Pomona's Pectin which allows us to use 1/2 honey to six cups of peaches. We use plain grass fed gelatin to make homemade jello, so good! (and a lot less chemicals in it :)

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

oh this looks so yummy..do you have an easy method for peeling peaches? thanks for sharing the recipe..I am printing it out as I type this.;)have a great wednesday.;)

Sam I Am...... said...

Thank you for this recipe! This is perfect as I love jam and like John, I like pieces of peaches in it! I made my frozen peach pie filling with my first batch of peaches and then was going to buy more but had company coming. They're not coming now so hopefully there will be peaches still at the farmer's market tomorrow and I can make this jam! Perfect timing! Thanks!
Oh! I received your yellow tick seeds and I will be sending some seeds back to you! Thank you so much!!!!! I'm slow like a slug but I will get them to you! You're a sweetheart!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

wow, that looks just delicious. yummy good. (:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I adore peaches, so no doubt that this would be a hit in my house!

Candy C. said...

Free peaches made into yummy peach jam? Life is GOOD!! Love all your vintage kitchen tools and the "Two Thumbs Up" picture! :)

Nancy said...

I love this recipe! Have never seen jam made with jello. Def. going to try this. Thanks so much for sharing. xo

Buttons Thoughts said...

Free peaches lucky girl and what a way to use them. This recipe sounds perfect I will be going out and buy some peaches and trying this it sounds easy and delicious. Looks good too. Thank you. B

Mary Smith said...

I'm saving his recipe! It sounds so simple, especially with free peaches!

carol l mckenna said...

Yummy post ~ lots of work ~ John seems to think it is worth it ~ Delish! ~ thanks, namaste, (A Creative Harbor)

Mary said...

Very nice...mouth watering..Love peaches.

Anne Payne said...

Yummy! I will have to write this recipe down as we have two peach trees in our yard and love jam :) My husband likes it a little runny to put on his pancakes!

Don said...

Enjoying your BLOG. Finally decided to FOLLOW you on a regular basis. Got to try this peach jam! Looks delicious!! Take a look at my blog if you'd like:
donj156.blogspot.com called Living From The Heart. Love to have you join me.

Anonymous said...

That looks so good!

Tito Eric said...

That really looks delicious!This is what I'd like to learn how to do since there is an abundance of tropical fruits in the organic farm nearby. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers! Visiting from A Rural Journal!

http://mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2012/08/tasty-thursdays-2.html

Anonymous said...

Interesting about the jello!
This year I am passing on making peach jelly. We used to always glean fruit but now we know no one with an orchard. Peaches are so expensive by us this year.
Free is good!

thewanderlustgirl said...

I make a jam very similar to this using zucchini and apricot jell-o. It is ridiculously easy and one of the best fruit jams I've ever made. It is DH favorite. You don't even taste the zucchini it just tastes like pineapple apricot jam.

MollyBee said...

This recipe is also good using a small peach jello and a small strawberry jello instead of the orange jello. The resulting jam is a lovely rosy color and the taste is divine. If you are looking for something a little different, try it. I LOVE this recipe!
Thanks for the orange jello idea, I will give it a try sometime.

Cher1 said...

Hi , for a easy way to remove the skins , dips peaches in hot ( boiled ) water for 60 seconds then put in cold water. Skins will slide right off. Recipe looks good !

Patricia González said...

For those concerned about the jello, you could use agar-agar instead.

Unknown said...

Made this tonight and it is amazing! Only used little over 4 cups of sugar and it is perfect. Used peaches I picked this morning from my tree. So sweet. Thank you for sharing this recipe. Making another batch tomorrow.

NJ said...

How many jars does this recipe make?

CampbellJ said...

Could I add pectin to make it less runny?

Unknown said...

My mom made jam with jello back in the 60's. She always made Rhubarb jam with Strawberry or Raspberry Jell-O. I used to make itviver the years when I had Rhubarb.

Unknown said...

Could I use less sugar, due to being a diabetic, and how running is it. Would to try this with the jello. How many jars will this make..sorry for all the questions. I do canning just never did it with jello before..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...