Tuesday, September 22, 2020

FALL CANNING AT THE FARMHOUSE

 It's FALL! In fact, it's the first day of Fall. . .

The FARMHOUSE is smelling wonderful these days with boiling pots of JAMS and PUMPKIN BUTTER. . .Wish you could be here to enjoy it!

I am doing my canning a little different this year. . .Because I have been away from the FARMHOUSE most of the summer and because so many chemicals from crop dusters have dropped on and stunted our fruit trees, I wasn't able to do any canning as the produce came in from OTHER sources. . .FRIENDS and FAMILY. . .an AMISH MARKET. . .

All summer long, John has been such a dear and gathered up all that could be prepared and frozen so that when I returned home this FALL I could do our canning. . .We do have left-over PUMPKIN PUREE from last year in the freezer, too. . .and no telling what else I'll be able to find as I work through everything. . .

Over the years I have shared with you most of my recipes that I am using. . .but that was years ago. . .So I thought it would be simpler to link them here for you than you having to search them out. . .I have also added a link at the bottom of the page for even more canning recipes. . .

PLUM JAM AND PLUM SYRUP

Our plums this year didn't produce. . .but I had some frozen . . .Making this jam always reminds me of my Grandmother. . .because it was my favorite growing up. . .so she canned plenty for the winter. . .Sometimes she would let me "help". . .You can imagine how much help a five year old was. . .but it gave me wonderful memories of her. . .

GREEN TOMATOES

Seems that every FALL, there is an abundance of GREEN TOMATOES in everyone's garden. . .Choosing  enough for several days of FRIED GREEN TOMATOES, I still had a half bushel or more left on our doorstep by some unknown source. . .(If that's you. . .THANKS SO MUCH)

So. . .I decided to can the rest of them. . .simply in salt and water. . .to make GREEN TOMATO MINCEMEAT and GREEN TOMATO CHOW CHOW later. . .I also like a few in the soups I make during the winter. . .They add a taste that most people like but can't figure out. . .

EASY KRAUT IN A JAR 

What a hit this is. . .with everyone. . .It's a bit milder than what we buy in the store. . .and much more flavorable. . .You can adjust the vinegar to your taste, though.

Here's a delicious recipe for using the Easy Kraut that can be eaten alone. . .or on sandwiches. . .

 


PUMPKIN BUTTER on right

My tried and true recipe. . .Each fall we cut up any left-over pumpkins and cook them down into a puree. . .for John's peanut butter and pumpkin butter sandwiches. . .Yes. . .That's how he likes it. . .Good on toast and biscuits, too. . .

I also can or freeze some of the puree for PUMPKIN PIES. . .So much better than the bought. . .

PICKLED PEACHES in the middle. . .

I use a recipe from the Ball Canning Book. . .One day I'll share this one. . .

AMISH PEACH JAM on the left to spread on BREAKFAST BREAD PUDDING

This is very delicious. . .It's made with Jello!. . But, there is one disclaimer. . .Since Jello has animal protein in it, I do suggest processing it in a water bath or canner. . .and to eat it within a year or less. . .We have never had any problem with it. . .but it raised concern with others. . .

 

These are the first in a long line of canning. . .Certainly there is more to come. . .one of which is FIG JAM made the old fashioned way with sugar and NO Sure Jell. . .It will be the first time I've made it. . .Want me to share?

FOR MORE FARMHOUSE RECIPES, VISIT DUNCAN FARMSTEAD   THEN SCROLL DOWN TO SEASONED SOUTHERN STYLE AND WHAT'S COOKING AT THE BOTTOM OF THAT PAGE 

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...