Wednesday, September 2, 2015

A Little Collecting. .A Little Canning




Here I am as promised with a peek at my latest collecting interest. . .but first I should remind you that it's time to be thinking about PUMPKIN BUTTER. . .Won't be long until pumpkins will be readily available. . .I canned 22 pints of butter last week from the pulp I froze last year and never got around to canning. . .Such a MONEY SAVER, too! . .I figured my total cost for 22 pints was $3.50. . .The pumpkins were FREE last FALL after the neighbors were finished with them as decor. . .(grin)


John's church is having a Fall Festival and Bake Sale this month. . .That's why these are all dressed up and ready to go. . .only have a few more to finish. . .





By now, you probably have guessed what my newest COLLECTING INTEREST is. . .
both big and small. . .


Known by most as 'CHEESE BOXES' 
We've all seen these classic round containers. . .FARMHOUSE TUPPERWARE in wood. . .Lately, I've found many of the taller ones at antique malls. . .at a very nominal price. . Not sure if the taller containers were for cheese or not. . .Do you know? . .I brought the two above home with me 'to see what I could do with them'. 
Well, those two became. . .more. . .





The stack gets higher. . .I think I have about twelve containers now. . .in all sizes. . .May add some VINTAGE LABELS on a few. . .and display them beside the fireplace for FALL. . .I'll not have room for them all. . .Left-overs will be utilized in the country store museum for winter storage. . .No more plastic bins in a 1930s store!!!!!  

I do see so many possibilities. . .They have provided me with more vintage elements to work into my style. . .Something new and fresh and different. . .Since I'm seeing more and more of them for sale, is it the beginning of a trend? . .Maybe. . .I hope they don't become popular too soon. . .at least not until I  'corner the market'. . . (grin). . .Finding the larger ones for $10 or less is a thrill. . .because I do enjoy a bargain . . Whether it's almost free PUMPKIN BUTTER. . .or cheap and plentiful wooden CHEESE BOXES in all sizes. . .give me. . .
MAKE-DO. . .FARMHOUSE WORTHY. . . and I'll LOVE IT. . .




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't being thrifty fun??!!! Your pumpkin butter sounds wonderful!!

Debby Ray said...

Mmmm...pumkin butter...I can almost taste it now :)

Brenda Pruitt said...

Pumpkin butter sounds so delightful!
Brenda

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Your cheese boxes are so fun! Not sure if the larger ones held cheese or not, that would be a lot of cheese! I am sure they had plenty of uses.

Junkchiccottage said...

Hi Dru,
I love pumpkin butter it is so yummy. Loved seeing your post today. The cheese crates are so awesome what a great collection. Have a wonderful week and wonderful holiday.
Kris

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

Everything here is lovely!!! You have a store? And how does one use pumpkin butter? Like apple butter? As a bread/cracker spread? Just a beautiful post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...