Thursday, January 8, 2015

We Make You Kindly Welcome

Does the title give you any clue as to where John and I have visited lately? . .If you think it might be connected to another century. . .you're right. . .and I have put together a little vignette that was inspired from our trip. . .


Christmas decor came down on the last day of 2014. . .I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the  'stuff' that accumulates every Christmas season. . .Time to get back to basics for me. . .I have a way to go before I reveal other parts of the keeping room. . .but am very pleased with this little collection.

Here was my inspiration . .




Yes. . .It's Shaker. . .Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill, Kentucky to be specific. . .We were on our way there the day we stopped and visited with Old Time Cindy. . .She lives about an hour from the village. . .Lucky girl. . .


John and I spent a four day weekend at Pleasant Hill. . .Our room was in the East Family Dwelling--actually occupied at one time by the Shakers during the 19th and early 20th centuries.  . We had to hang our clothes on pegs. . .slept in reproduction beds. . .relaxed in Shaker rockers. . .The room was huge. . .but sparcely decorated in order to give us the real feel of the time. . .There WAS a TV (surprise)--looking oddly out of place--and a private bath. . .Thank goodness for that. . .The first night we were there was on a Thursday. . .Only one other couple shared the entire building. . .I ended up roaming around the big old three story house, checking out every nook and cranny. . .the upstairs. . .the downstairs. . .the kitchen. . .the eating room. . .the architecture. . .by (electric) candle light. . .It was great fun. . .I MUST to be an 'old soul'. . .don't you think?


We were visiting for a specific reason. . .one I'll tell you about a little later. . .but we had plenty of time to explore the buildings and shops. . .

I picked up several items for The Country Farm Home at their gift shops and in the nearby town of Harrodsburg. . .It has been hard for me to contain myself through Christmas until I could display just a few of them--along with a few of my 'oldies but goodies'. . .I reviewed the hundreds of photos I took at Shaker Village and chose a few like the ones above to inspire me. . .the straw brooms. . .the baskets of wool and flax. . .the old photos and needlework. . .the Shaker welcome. . .and the chickens I fell in love with at the gift shop. . .



SHAKER inspired but FARMHOUSE SIMPLE



WE MAKE YOU KINDLY WELCOME. . .I totally love that. . .I sure hope that's the way we make you feel when you visit with us. . .whether online or in person. . .a place to make yourself at home. . .part of the family.

Stay warm and safe everyone. . .Winter is definitely here for the vast majority of us. . .
"Put another log on the fire, Dear."

 

9 comments:

Debby Ray said...

Oh my, what an experience that must have been! Do you know I lived in KY, not that far from there (Mt. Sterling) for 11 years and NEVER visited there! What was wrong with me?? A different stage of my life, raising my kids, I'm sure...lol! What simplistic beauty!

Pamela Gordon said...

That would be so much fun! We visited there once back in the 80's. It is beautiful and I have photos in an album to prove it! It would be interesting to stay overnight and experience that lifestyle. I like your sweet vignette.

cynthia lee designs said...

We spent our honeymoon down in Kentucky 35 years ago and stayed at Shaker Village for a few nights. Sadly...we haven't been back there since them. I do think about it every time we go thru Kentucky on our way to Tennessee every Spring or Fall.
~Cindy

Sam I Am...... said...

What a wonderful experience and trip that must have been. Happy New Year!

sweetvintageofmine said...

A sweet post...I visited there a few years ago on a HOT August day. It's a very interesting and beautiful place....Your vignette is lovely! Blessings~~~Roxie

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

What a wonderful trip and to be able to stay there must have been a joy. Love your vignette and the inspiration you got from your visit. Seems like a once in a life time trip, I'm glad you could take it..Happy Thursday..Judy

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

What a sweet way of saying it! I hope we make it to Shaker Village someday. The photos are so inspirational. Love those brooms!
hugs,
Jann

srpprcrftr said...

Altho the climate in KY was quite hard on me I still enjoyed many things about KY, mostly house and property we had out in country. We lived few miles north of Bowling Green, guess you could say we were about half way between Bowling Green and Leitchfield. Never got to go to Shaker Village, shame on us. We lived in KY for 5 yrs. then moved west again to western CO, we live few miles west of Grand Junction, CO. Before KY we had lived on 20 acres on Canyon Ferry Lake few miles from Helena, Mt & before that we lived in San Diego areas for 21 yrs. I'd move back to MT in a heart beat. Of all places we've lived in our lives together and mine before I still love MT the best of all. Lived in Tucson, az FOR 20 yrs. and was born in Cleveland, OH
Glad you shared photos of part of Shaker Village, love those brooms. How lucky you were able to stay there to experience more. Happy New Year
Looks like that pillow was made with men's suiting fabric, love the old photo, maybe I'll have to dig out some of my old photos from albums Mom made for me. Boy an old men's jacket to make pillow cover with, see what I can come up with. Love your vignette.

Lynx said...

Hi. I live in Lexington KY, only about 25 miles from Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill. When my sister was majoring in music at the University of Kentucky years ago, a choral group she was in did a performance of music based on the teachings of Mother Ann Lee, presented in one of the buildings, I think the main meeting house. They were dressed in Shaker-styled clothing, and it was rather fascinating to have a Shaker relative for a day! It's a wonderful place and I'm glad you enjoyed your Kentucky visit. Did you know there is also a Shaker village just west of Bowling Green KY, in South Union? It's interesting too. I'm glad to have found your delightful blog via Cozy Little House.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...