Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Seasoning the Pots and Skillets

"Even if she (today's Southern woman) doesn't cook much, there is no more important heirloom than Mama's iron skillet. The iron skillet is THE essential tool of Southern country cooking, and as such it is a prized possession that is passed down from generation to generation, gathering unique character along the way. . ."

I can't imagine a kitchen without cast-iron cookware. . .and I cannot envision the older cooks in our family setting up any kitchen without their iron skillets and deep fryers. . .It's just not possible!
I've been very blessed to have acquired a family collection of coveted iron cookware pieces. . .READ MORE. . .


2 comments:

Heide at ApronHistory said...

We have a new cast iron skillet that came pre-seasoned. I think we still might need to season it a few more times.....

I always love to hear the story of my Grandma's cast iron. When she was engaged to Grandpa they went to an auction with his mother. Grandpa bought an unknown box for a $1 and they found cast iron pans in it! He gave them to Grandma saying they were her first wedding present.

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Dru, My grandmother cooked fried chicken and fried potatoes every Sunday night in her old cast iron skillet. I remember them tasting better than anything I had ever tasted before. In my first married years I had one but guess it wasn't seasoned enough or the right way and it rusted. I never got another one but I still remember my grandmother's Sunday dinners..Happy Tuesday..Judy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...