Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Shabby Media Stand from a Vintage Vanity





 


 
 


 
 
  
Living in a 1930s farmhouse has it's challenges. . . .one of which is 'what do I do about the TV and media players with their tons of cords?'
 
For our 'new' living room (renovation in the process), we'll use the same theme and colors as the kitchen. . . .painted furniture, white walls, maybe a black and white painted floor, and of course there will always be touches of denim and red.
 
Til now, the TV has been sitting on a vintage oak cabinet, ca 1920. . . .No way would I paint it!. . . .So, I've been on the hunt for an alternative. . . .When I found this shabby vanity--already painted and from the same era as our farmhouse--I grabbed it in a jiffy! . . . It was the perfect size for our TV, and we could hide the media players underneath and the DVDs, 'clickers' and such in the drawers. . . .Found locally, it's so shabby that I love it!. . . .Fits right in with my 'make-do' attitude. . . .
 
I put John to work. . . .He added shelves underneath. . . .Then we realized our DVD player wouldn't fit. . . .Back to the drawing board. . . No problem. . . ..John built a little cubby hole box and placed it on top of the vanity--without nailing it down--for the DVD player. . . . The TV will sit on top of the box. . . .We can remove it easily if necessary. . . . 
 
He also added rollers to the vanity's feet for easy moving.
 
To hide all the other players and wires on the shelves, I used a Gold Medal Flour Sack. . . .will also use an additional one to hide the DVD player once everything is in place.
 
Now, I have to come up with an idea on how to hide the TV itself. . . .Any thoughts?. . . .We use it a lot, so hiding it may be a matter of a cloth cover of some kind. . . .Need to think on it, don't I?
 
 
Once we move the TV back in and the oak cabinet out, one more corner of the living room will be done. . . .Yes!
 
I love checking things off that 'to-do' list!

 
. . .from my farmhouse to yours. . .
 
 
 
1930s Painted Vanity $20--Hwy 61 Flea Market, Blytheville, AR
Gold Medal Flour Sack $1.50--Antique Mall, Kennett, MO
 
 Sharing this post with: * Knick of Time
 
 

18 comments:

❁Velma ~Down Our Country Road❁ said...

Absolutely lovely! And I can't believe you got such a treasure for only twenty bucks!! Wow. I don't have any ideas as to how to hide the TV. I have that same problem :/

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I finally just gave up and accepted that the TV is going to be seen. It just looks like you try to hide the elephant in the room otherwise! Cute desk....love the curtains!

Ruffles and Relics said...

I love this! I never thought of adding shelving.. I believe I may have a project today, Thanks for the inspiration!

Brenda Pruitt said...

You got good buys for sure! I love it! How about, since John is so handy, having him build a "box" with two doors in front to hide the TV. Would just blend into the furniture piece. Wish I had a John around here sometimes!
Brenda

Unknown said...

It's always such a joy to come by here, always, I never walk away thinking " meh " everything you touch turns to gold!!!
This is just gorgeous - really really gorgeous!
XOXO

Unknown said...

Come by when you have the chance,
I have beautiful giveaways going on right now!
XOXO

Diane said...

Hide the tv with a hand painted fireplace screen,,,make one out of wood or use an old picture on legs to sit in front o f the tv when it is not in use.

Diane said...

Hide the tv with a hand painted fireplace screen,,,make one out of wood or use an old picture on legs to sit in front o f the tv when it is not in use.

Junkchiccottage said...

This is so great. I love it. The grain sack curtain to hide things is genius. I think you can leave the TV on there without trying to hide it. I think it will draw more attention to it trying to hide it. Real life is a TV so it will look so cute on top of the beautiful piece John made. Like I always say gotta love a man with tools that knows how to use them!!!!!
Kris

chateau chic said...

This makes the perfect media cabinet. Love the shelves you added with the flour sack to hide all the ugly stuff!
Mary Alice

Florida Farm Girl said...

Sadly, all TVs look like black holes. You'd think with all the technology put into their development, there's be more neutral coloring.

What about a boxed frame with two shutters attached? The shutters could be easily opened for viewing, but closed to hide it when not in use?

Florida Farm Girl said...

Truly, I jumped straight to the comment block and had not read Brenda's suggestion! Great minds think alike though, huh?

Dawn said...

Great new piece and your tv will be perfect on it. I have my tv in a closed cabinet and. Like that I can close the doors. Maybe you could use some old shudders to build a screen for the front of the tv.

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Love this. It sure looks adorable. To fit in with your theme, maybe you could look for an old Cotton painting print in and old frame. ( Or you could used one of the pretty pictures off the farm that you take and make pretty to decorate your blog with!) So that it looks like an old water color or oil painting. Have John build a box and put a hinge on it. This could look like beautifully displayed art.
Blessings,
Susie

cynthia lee designs said...

Love it...so pretty and a great way to hide the things you don't want seen all the time. Not sure what to do about the TV.
hugs,
Cindy

Pam said...

This looks great! I love the grain sack curtain!
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

mary scott said...

How about seasonal slipcovers over the black box! Mary

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Simply darlin, darlin! Great piece and I love the feed sack! I agree, don't love a t.v. just sticking out there, but that's what I got. lol!
hugs,
Jann

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...