Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Remember the Prim Cabinet Yard Sale Find?


Do you remember the blue primitive cabinet we found on the 100 Mile Yard Sale this Summer?  A steal at $32.50. . . .


It was awfully dry and tired looking. . . .yet, I knew it would come back to life with a little Murphy's Oil Soap and a coat or two of Lemon Oil Restorer. . . .


It took more than a couple of coats of Lemon Oil Restorer! I think John used half a bottle. . . .and it could use more. . . .but it did turn into a real beauty along the way. . . .


I knew exactly where I wanted it to go. . . .There's a little entryway at the back door. . . .I'd not found the right combination to welcome visitors. . . .Most of our pieces were too large--leaving little room to walk in. . . .or, they were too small and looked overwhelmed by the space. . . .

So, when I spied this narrow prim cabinet at the yard sale, I knew it was headed for the farm.





 
It is definitely 'Prim". . . .Don't you love John's sense of humor for the latch?


I recently found the metal veggie signs at a flea market. . . .$1 each. . . . a theme that goes well with the Farmhouse style. . . .

While we're looking at the vignette, let me brag a little more on John. . . .He crafted the dove weathervane from wood and metal. . . .The pattern dates back to 1832 . . . .He sold weathervanes in several gift stores a few years back. . . .I saved this one for us. . . .

We have a family of doves that showed up on the farm the second year we lived here. . . .They build nests in our trees in the front yard. . . .and 'sing' to me each morning as I jump out of bed. . . .We've grown very fond of them. . . .So much so that when dove season opens, we encourage our feathered friends to stay safe and sound here at the farm. . . .It's worked so far. . .  .


It's a charming folk art piece that compliments our primitive find. . . .

I'm finally satisfied with the entryway. . . .Don't you think it's welcoming now?

 
By the way, we have a saying here, "Backdoor guests are always best". . . .If you ever visit, be sure and come to the backdoor. . . .Only salesmen and curiosity seekers knock on the front door! . . .It was as true in years past as it is today. . . .Some things never change.

 
. . .from my farmhouse to yours. . . 

 
 
I'm joining these parties. . . .Why don't you visit, too!
 

24 comments:

Lisa~A Cottage To Me said...

It turned out great! Love the weathervane too!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

What a transformation! It is perfect in your back entry and I love the view of the keeping room through the back entry doorway. Such a welcoming peep into the room. Also love your veggie signs, great find.

Unknown said...

That is a great prim piece and John did a great job giving some extra life. Your vignette is very pretty and I can't get over the great prices on both the cabinet and those pretty metal signs.

Sunnybrook Farm said...

It has a good look about it, I like that blue.

Junkchiccottage said...

This is so great. I love the piece. It just needed a little TLC and look what a beautiful piece it has become. Great transformation.
Kris

Dawn said...

You have it looking so beautiful. Wonderful job:)

Unknown said...

What a lovely piece! The color is wonderful. Crazy about the weather vane too! I think your entry way certainly says WELCOME, loud and clear! Beautiful!

Patty Sumner said...

It is amazing what wonderful things you can find at Yard sales.. Your Prim cabinet looks perfect! Great decorating job. Blessings!

❁Velma ~Down Our Country Road❁ said...

What a lovely sight for your guests to feast their eyes on! I'm truly envious of your metal veggie signs. That's what caught my eye first :)
We very rarely use our front door, too!

Pamela Gordon said...

It looks beautiful! I love the soft blue and the decor you've added to it. I can see it changing with the seasons too. You were fortunate to find such a great piece! Blessings, Pamela

chateau chic said...

Love, Love, Love your charming blue cupboard!! And of course, you have it styled to perfection for a country farm home.
Mary Alice

cynthia lee designs said...

Your cabinet looks great!! Love the veggie signs...yes, they are perfect for farmhouse style. Also love the dove weathervane that John made.
hugs,
Cindy

Pam said...

Your blue cabinet looks beautiful and I just love those great vegetable signs! $1.00 each, really? I love yard sales and flea markets!
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Trisha said...

I think it was meant to be in that space...it fits perfectly and is so inviting! Love the weathervane too!

~Trisha

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

It is just perfect there! :)

betty-NZ said...

What an amazing transformation! Love the 'lock', too!

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

It's a great piece. I thought you were going to say you painted it white, Dru! Great price too.

Anonymous said...

Your cabinet looks beautiful and you've really dressed her up to perfection.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Diane said...

I love your primitive cabinet. What a great find! I see things all the time that I love but just don't have the space for them. I love your little veggie signs too. Visiting your blog always takes me back to a simpler time on my grandparent's farm. Love all the farmhouse goodness!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Dru, great find for a fab price! Love, love it! Reminds me so much of a piece that we rescued from my hubby's grandparents farm. Has the same top only no doors on the bottom. Almost the same color of blue too! I have it storing pillows in our basement guest room. Yours is in the perfect spot and I adore your metal veggie signs! The primitive dove is a wonderful piece. Glad you hung on to it! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann
p.s. Been meaning to ask you, are you and Cindy still hosting Country Whites?

Amber Lyon Ferguson said...

Fabulous! I'm a new follower!

bj said...

This piece is just as cute as it can be and looks perfect where you decided to put it. I love love love his weather vane, too.:)

Tammy said...

You're kidding? I love this! What a great find!!!

Jo Ann said...

Love the piece, Dru, and the way you decorated it! Just looks so homey and welcoming!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...