A bit "romantic" isn't it?
An apron fashioned from a linen 80s skirt,
a vintage crocheted collar,
an embellished lace piece salvaged from a 90s knit top
(remember those days?)
(remember those days?)
and a few additional yards of scrap lace.
A couple of months ago, I began working through a stack of vintage linens, stitching with Sew Thrifty a Find--a Singer Tiny Tailor that I thrifted for only $10. . . .The stack is getting smaller. . . .and I've grown to love the "little green machine". . . .
I've almost exhausted the pile of linens--all but a few scrap pieces and a bunch of crocheted collars. . . .I'd laid all aside for a time while I took care of planting a garden and other Springtime "chores". . . .one of which being cleaning out closets. . . .That's how I ran across my Mom's white linen skirt from the 1980s. . . .the fabric was beautiful. . . .the hem was of cotton eyelet lace and tucks. . . .
As I looked at her skirt again for the first time in a couple of years, I thought how it reminded me of Downton Abbey. . . .a touch of Victorian. . . .
Hmmmmmm. . . .
I needed an apron from that era.
Should I use Mom's skirt for it?
I glanced at the linens pile and saw the other pieces needed. . . .
a collar and that beautiful lace piece I'd kept for years,
knowing that one day there would be a use for it.
Gathering all up, I headed for the sewing room.. . . .Just a short break from closet cleaning. . . .
First thing, the elastic was removed from the back of the skirt.
Measuring 4 1/2" from the side seam, I tore the skirt on each side. . . .Then serged the edge and stitched it under.
The left-over piece from the back formed the lower part of the bib. . . .
Turning the hem of that piece with the scallop side out,
I was able to utilize the tucks in the center. . . .
a little extra detail.
The crocheted collar worked out beautifully. . . .I simply stitched them in all in place.
and, added the embellished lace piece. . . .
For tie ends, I measured twill tape long enough to make a pretty bow in back,
securing to the apron with large vintage buttons.
The skirt already had slit pockets at the side. . . .No need to add more.
The hem seemed a little plain once the bib was finished. . . .Digging in a box of lace, I found a couple of possibilities. . .
Much better. . . .
In less than two hours, the Victorian era mannequin was wearing her new apron. . . .
I'll be eyeing those lace collars a little differently from now on. . . .Never quite knew what to do with them. . . .I doubt that I'll be buying any, though. . . .Out of curiosity, I counted mine. . . .Eleven was the number. . . .Too bad I only found one linen skirt. . . .
So far. . . .
There are more closets and tubs to sort through. . . .No telling what treasures I'll find!
It will be a TREASURE HUNT!
Much more fun than cleaning out closets. . . .
. . .from my farmhouse to yours. . .