Friday, January 4, 2013

Three Table Runners--One Tutorial


Did you notice the table runner on our farmhouse table in recent posts? Two ladies inspired me to make it--Carolynn at Chenille Cottage and  Sherry at The Charm of Home. . . .I'm afraid I can't take the credit for the idea--although I'd sure like to. . . .



I first saw Homespun Plaid at Chenille Cottage back in October. . . .intended to make one for my Thanksgiving table--but ran out of time due to work on the keeping room. . . .



Thanksgiving passed and along came Christmas. . . . Sherry posted photos of her Farmhouse Christmas at The Charm of Home. . . .and, there on her table was another farmhouse runner. . . .That decided me! 

Both women are so talented, is it any wonder I copied their idea?

I wanted a more primitive look, though--something that might have been around since the 1930s and passed down in the family--with some wear and tear maybe. . . .I also had a problem with my sewing machines--I couldn't get to them! So, whatever I made had to be sewn by hand. . . .Primitive it had to be.

My runner was very fast and easy to make. . . .Deciding the measurements took the longest time. . . .I can see that Carolynn and Sherry used a more finished technique, but if you don't mind a few torn edges, you can accomplish any of the looks by using different fabrics and this tutorial. . . .



First I found this piece of cotton that had been washed
many times and was so soft.
I think it was a flannel sheet, but I loved the texture---
perfect color, perfect thickness, perfect price.



 It was not quite large enough to double, so I settled for a single thickness--
a good idea since I planned to combine the runner with other linens.

 I tore all the pieces--for that primitive touch. . .
Runner--20" wide; length depends on your table
Ruffle--31" x 11" (plus 2" or more for the hem)


I also added a piece to the length by over-lapping the seams--
our table is over 6' long!

Crochet thread was used for the hand sewing. . . .


The ruffle was gathered and attached with the raw edge showing.
I left a large hem to give the ends some body.
Leaving the edges frayed, I used a simple running stitch down each side.
You could turn the edges under and use a running stitch, too,
if you'd like a more finished edge.

To add a vintage touch, I embroidered
"1930" above the ruffle. . . .

That's it! It was ready for the dinner table!



Here it is on the post The Table is Set for a Holiday Dinner. I layered the runner with a square napkin and a vintage doily at each place setting. By choosing a thinner fabric for the runner, it certainly helped with less bulk in the layering.

You'll be seeing my farmhouse table runner again and again. . . .It's not just for the holidays. . . .Although it sure added to our Christmas table. . . .



 One idea. . . .three looks. . . .Change the fabric, change the look. . . .


Many thanks to Carolynn and Sherry. . . .for sharing their ideas. . . .
and for their inspiration!


. . . .from my farmhouse to yours. . . .


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...