Friday, January 4, 2013

Three Table Runners--One Tutorial


Did you notice the table runner on our farmhouse table in recent posts? Two ladies inspired me to make it--Carolynn at Chenille Cottage and  Sherry at The Charm of Home. . . .I'm afraid I can't take the credit for the idea--although I'd sure like to. . . .



I first saw Homespun Plaid at Chenille Cottage back in October. . . .intended to make one for my Thanksgiving table--but ran out of time due to work on the keeping room. . . .



Thanksgiving passed and along came Christmas. . . . Sherry posted photos of her Farmhouse Christmas at The Charm of Home. . . .and, there on her table was another farmhouse runner. . . .That decided me! 

Both women are so talented, is it any wonder I copied their idea?

I wanted a more primitive look, though--something that might have been around since the 1930s and passed down in the family--with some wear and tear maybe. . . .I also had a problem with my sewing machines--I couldn't get to them! So, whatever I made had to be sewn by hand. . . .Primitive it had to be.

My runner was very fast and easy to make. . . .Deciding the measurements took the longest time. . . .I can see that Carolynn and Sherry used a more finished technique, but if you don't mind a few torn edges, you can accomplish any of the looks by using different fabrics and this tutorial. . . .



First I found this piece of cotton that had been washed
many times and was so soft.
I think it was a flannel sheet, but I loved the texture---
perfect color, perfect thickness, perfect price.



 It was not quite large enough to double, so I settled for a single thickness--
a good idea since I planned to combine the runner with other linens.

 I tore all the pieces--for that primitive touch. . .
Runner--20" wide; length depends on your table
Ruffle--31" x 11" (plus 2" or more for the hem)


I also added a piece to the length by over-lapping the seams--
our table is over 6' long!

Crochet thread was used for the hand sewing. . . .


The ruffle was gathered and attached with the raw edge showing.
I left a large hem to give the ends some body.
Leaving the edges frayed, I used a simple running stitch down each side.
You could turn the edges under and use a running stitch, too,
if you'd like a more finished edge.

To add a vintage touch, I embroidered
"1930" above the ruffle. . . .

That's it! It was ready for the dinner table!



Here it is on the post The Table is Set for a Holiday Dinner. I layered the runner with a square napkin and a vintage doily at each place setting. By choosing a thinner fabric for the runner, it certainly helped with less bulk in the layering.

You'll be seeing my farmhouse table runner again and again. . . .It's not just for the holidays. . . .Although it sure added to our Christmas table. . . .



 One idea. . . .three looks. . . .Change the fabric, change the look. . . .


Many thanks to Carolynn and Sherry. . . .for sharing their ideas. . . .
and for their inspiration!


. . . .from my farmhouse to yours. . . .


27 comments:

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

What a great look! I've wanted to do some ruffle projects, but haven't gotten around to them yet. Nice work.
Liz

The Charm of Home said...

What a great look you created Dru. I love the hand stitching on your runner! Very neat! I love the color on Carolynn's rustic table, just beautiful! Thank you for the mention!
Sherry

Pamela Gordon said...

I love your table runner Dru and especially the fact that it is all hand sewn. You sure make even stitches! I hope you have a lovely weekend. Blessings, Pamela

chateau chic said...

Absolutely charming!! Love the layering.
Mary Alice

sunnyskiesandsweettea said...

I love that!

Blessings,
Amy Jo

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Perfect! You gals are so smart! I was looking for some new sewing projects and this one will be a perfect one for me! Now to pick the fabric. Dru, I love that you did this all by hand. It looks great. Love the stitches and embroidery.
Blessings,
Susie

Old Time Cindy said...

How perfectly charming! It's amazing what we come up with the resources we have on hand. I have to give you credit. If I couldn't get to my sewing machine, I probably would have said forget it. But for you, it brought out your creativity and a wonderful piece. Thanks for boot scootin' on over to join in at the Old Time Party!
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Unknown said...

Very pretty and perfectly rustic with the pretty hand stitching. I have a white runner on our dining table with a big ruffled edge. The fabric is actually a moire (water mark) cotton left over from my wedding dress that my sister sewed for me. I love it.

Tanya Breese said...

oh it turned out beautiful! i just love everything about that room anyway..i could sit at that table all day...you'd have to kick me out :D

Linda said...

I love your table runners. I"ve been wanting to make something similar and now know how.

Susie said...

What a great idea !!! Love it. I am going to be looking for some of those old sheets...got to have my own runner. xoxo,Susie

cynthia lee designs said...

Love it...so simple and pretty!! My hubby's aunt made a burlap runner with a ruffle on it for me and I have it on my dining room table.
hugs,
Cindy

Gail said...

Oh I love your runner! I made a burlap runner for my kitchen table and I love mine!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Gail

Chenille Cottage said...

Hi Dru!
There you are inspiring me to make another table runner. I love the soft vintage touch you have created using a worn flannel sheet. Perfect! And your hand stitching was meant to be. When you couldn't find your machine...You made lemonade out of lemons.
Thank you for sharing my homespun runner. I just love the thought of making one for each season of the year.
Blessings to you, my thoughtful friend!
Carolynn xxx

Anonymous said...

Oh, I like your table runner! I have a white, canvas cloth painter's tarp and I'm going to use it to make a table runner. Thanks for inspiration! I'm a new follower and would love you to follow me too! Thanks

Florida Farm Girl said...

What a grand idea! Now, if we'd just stop accumulating "stuff" on our table, I could do the same.

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Love the handstitched "1930" runner you fashioned, Dru!

Barbara Jean said...

so cute. love it in the cream, and frayed look

blessings
barb

Poppy said...

Hi Dru,

Romantic ruffles are exquisite here on your beautiful table runner. Love how it drops down ever so lightly! And, that poinsettia! Perfect centrepiece for the season!

Wishing you a happy, healthy 2013,

Poppy

Pam said...

How beautiful! I love to recycle items! I am always rummaging through thrift stores or (in good weather) yard sales looking for things I can use to make something with or redo!
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

shannon i olson said...

lovely table runner, I have to say the thought of the soft well washed sheet kinda made me want to wrap up in it, not sure if it would have made it to the table at my house! Maybe for a nap or two though!

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Looks great! I love touches of the primitive look. From what I can see of your table underneath, the table itself looks beautiful too! We are redoing our living room/kitchen area this summer and I'm begging my husband to build me a big farmhouse table.

Art and Sand said...

It is beautiful. I need to stop looking at blogs now that school is back in session. I want to run right out and make things, but I have lesson plans and grading. Maybe this weekend.

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

So very pretty! Good inspiration! Thank you for sharing this at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Anonymous said...

Oh, I just adore the way you hand stitched your runner with it's shabby beauty...I am following you and looking forward to seeing more of what you do :)

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Dru, I shouted out to you and Cindy in my post today but while I was making sure I got the link right, I came across this post and I'm sure glad I did. I cut out a runner yesterday but haven't sewn it yet. I'm glad because I was kind of wondering how to attach the ruffle, now I know (I think), I'm not the world's best seamstress..I really love yours and the others too..Happy Tuesday..Judy and your Christmas table was beautiful. I missed that one too.

Parlor Room Ponderings said...

Hi,
Well I was blog hopping and came across your blog and checked out your tutorials. I love this idea for a table runner! Don't know why I didn't think of that! I will take before and after pics to show you when I finished mine! BTW, I started following your blog!
Blessings, Diane

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...