Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Vintage Pattern for Retro 50s His & Her Plates


During the 1950s, it seemed that every--I mean "every"--kitchen in Dell had a pair of these charming his and her plates hanging on the wall. One reason for it was a Vacation Bible School at the Baptist Church the summer of 1958. As our craft project we each made a set of these cute plates to surprise our Moms with a gift. I had a hard time sneaking bits of fabric and trims out of my mother's sewing room without her knowing. I also had a hard time keeping it a secret. I think Mom probably suspected, but she never let me know.

That summer, we flooded the town with his and her plates to hang on kitchen walls.


It never ceases to amaze me all the different combinations of fabrics, rickrack, and trims that make each plate unique--with personalities of their own.








I've collected these his and her plates for years, mostly found in thrift stores and flea markets. I can't pass one up, because I know each and every one of them were made with love and care. And, because they are truly charming hanging in the kitchen, bath, or bedroom.

The patterns below came from the original Vacation Bible School project in 1958. I found them in a box of my old keepsakes and thought I'd share them with you. . .

Directions for making the retro plates are simple--

Gather together: white plates, paint or other trim for the edges, fabric scraps, felt scraps, trims, white glue.
Paint the edges of the plates--or, try gluing rickrack or other trim along the edge.
Print out patterns--right click and save image to your photo file. Enlarge or reduce, if necessary, and print.
Cut fabric pieces and glue with the white glue. Try using Shabby Chic type fabrics or the bright popular fabrics of today for a different look.
Add embellishments. Personalize your plates so that they are unique to your tastes.
Add names, dates, whatever you like.




Use plate holders to hang on the wall. . .

Instant charm. . . 



Linking with:

9 comments:

Betty said...

i just sold a set of these in a yard sale. wish i hadn't now that i see them through someone else's eyes. boohoo.

SouthernSimplicity said...

Blue ones for me, please. . .

Beth said...

aw how cute! how darling would these be in a green kitchen?

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh, I remember these. Your collection is so fun. I love all the variety. Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup!
Hugs,
Jann

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh, I remember these. Your collection is so fun. I love all of the variety. Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup!
Hugs,
Jann

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Oh, these are great! Visiting from Share Your Cup Thurs.

Uh oh-hope I can read the word verification to post this.

Tanya Breese said...

ha! my mom had these hanging on our living room wall. there was one of all of us, this was in the early 70's! wonder whatever happened to those?!

cgammeter said...

These are great. And you decorate all that you find. I love it. Hi, I'm Connie at http://hotflashncraftn.blogspot.com/, a new GFC friend. Please stop by and be mine, too.
Thanks for sharing your collection, so cool.

Echoes From the Hill said...

My mother had a set of them in our kitchen for years, when I was a child. I don't know what happened to them.
A trip down memory lane!
nancyr

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...