Thursday, May 24, 2012

Consider the Lilies. . .

"Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow;
 they toil not, neither do they spin; And, yet, I say unto you,
That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these."

We had terrible storms Sunday night. Off and on for almost an hour, we were plummeted with hail, high winds, and torrential rain. When it was over, we were without electricity, the porch roof was sagging in the middle, part of the fence was broken, our yard was littered with limbs and debris, the garden and flower beds were leveled.  Being a farmer's daughter and having experienced these types of storms more than once, I knew we'd have some replanting to do with the crops, as well as with the garden and flowers. Time--a few days--would tell.


My lilies seemed to have taken the worst of it. The leaves were flattened on the ground, bruised and broken. The blooms that were about to open before the storm were gone.

So, you can imagine my surprise when I walked out this morning and was greeted with beautiful lilies everywhere I looked. . . Red ones, orange ones, yellow ones. Nothing could have raised my spirits any higher.


I love lilies. I always have. Now I admire them even more. Yes, they'd been bruised and broken, but they didn't give up. They rose above their pitiful looking foliage and were shining bright in the sun.


I stood there and thought for a few moments how life can be compared to these beautiful flowers in front of me. 
Storms of life come and storms go. Some last a long time. Others only a little while.
We have a choice to rise up out of them and shine bright in the sun, 
or we can lay on the ground and whither away. 

I don't know about you,
but I choose to be a LILY. . .




Don't forget the 100 mile yard sale this weekend on Highway 25 between Kennett and Jackson, Missouri. . . It begins today (Thursday) and ends Saturday. . .The weather will be great--so, no excuses. . .See ya there. . .

6 comments:

momto8blog said...

I love my lilies too....they seem to fit in anywhere! we spent last weekend taking some out and put them in different spots...fun to get free new flowers!!

Carolyn said...

I envy the rain, but not the storm!
Your lilies are beautiful. Will look forward to the treasures you find at the garage sale.
C

Lady Farmer said...

Hello Farmer's Daughter! Lady Farmer here! (I like how we are connected :~P )
Great post on your daylilies. I cannot have them as they are a favorite of the local deer population, so I will admire yours! So glad they rose up to brighten your day!
Have fun at your 100 mile yard sale ~ wish I could go with! I think we'd have a grand time!
Blessings!

Florida Farm Girl said...

I'm so sorry things got pummeled by the storm.

I jumped over to your post about the farm dresses and loved it! Mama always wore cotton house dresses. I have three or four of hers that I kept, intending to use them in a quilt, but I don't know if I'll ever be able to cut into them. For now, they just hang in the closet.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Simply gorgeous. To be able to go pick flowers like that from your yard..how wonderful!! I have no lilies..I need some this year.

Old Time Cindy said...

Wonderful post! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...